How do you find actors?

where to find acting talent

At wholmmovies we use several ways of finding quality acting talent:

1. we post casting call/audition notices on both our websites:
http://www.wholmmovies.com/ and http://www.jnctg.com/
2. we post casting call/audition notices on other websites, like this one (indietalk), indiebacklot.com, indieclub.com, etc.
3. community and college theatres are a great resource for acting talent, and you can check them out as they perform on stage. bonus: they're already demonstrating that they love acting, even when they're not getting paid. caveat: stage actors without film experience tend to project a little too loudly and exaggerate their motions somewhat. The director can gently 'cure' this in rehearsal, if necessary.

Note: since we are no/low-budget filmmakers, we use local talent almost exclusively - we can't afford to pay travel expense and accomodations

Hope this helps!

Jay Enterkin

Speaking from an actors point of view, many of us avoid casting websites for two main reasons:

#1. Most charge monthly fees (not cool if you're a starving actor!)
#2. They tend to have no requirements (ANY fool can pay to join, meaning there is no seperation between those who have experience & those who do not.)

My 2 cents would be to take out an ad in the local trades. Actors on both coasts read BackStage magazine. I'm sure there are similar magazines all across the midwest. :D

wow

spite
I have to agree actorshere.com is a great easy to use site.

I'm also a SAG Actor, and just signed a SAG Experimental Film Agreement which provides for "Deferred Compensation" for SAG Actors who are willing to do such a project.

I know this sounds BIZARRE, but even though I'm doing a 7 minute "Short" featurette with just myself in it...and own all the equipment and essentially have zip squat production costs, I still had to sign an agreement with myself as Producer 'cuz I'm a SAG Actor. Go figure.

However, I viewed it as an opportunity to go through the processes (a TON of paperwork) in preparation for a future project which will involve some of my SAG Actor pals who I worked with a lot on the Nash Bridges TV Show as well as TV Pilots & Films in the SF Bay Area.

Depending upon what part of the country you're in, don't overlook going through the "Principal" SAG Actors book at the local SAG office. You must might find some t-a-l-e-n-t-e-d pro SAG Actors willing to work under a SAG Experimental Film Agreement.

Don't be bashful. Old Adage: "If ya don't ask, ya don't get!"

The long-range objective here has been to work towards an alternative for creating "Principal Roles" for the local SF Bay Area SAG Talent Pool. Even though a lot of films & TV series related stuff gets shot in our area, I estimated less than ONE-PERCENT of all Principal Roles go to the local pool of talent. Sad. Shameful, actually, but an opportunity for some of us here to "roll our own". Ya just never know what MIGHT get somewhere :D

Back