Vintage used lenses-- my purchases... thoughts? Advice on adapters?

Hi guys, I'm a new guy here. :) I introduced myself in the Welcome section but wanted to also post here--

My name is Chris... I use a Canon t3i for YouTube one-man-band video stuff, and random other crap... and I'm in the process of working on a feature-length indie film with a few friends. Decided to pick up some vintage lenses, and wanted to get you guys' opinions of each, and also advice on exactly which adapters I'll need...

1. Albinar 28mm, 2.8. FD mount (I think I found the right one on amazon)

2. Olympus 50mm, 1.8 (also, think I found the right adapter on amazon)

3. Super Takumar 50mm, 1.4 (the "Radioactive", the "Dream Lens")... heard (and have seen) absolutely wonderful things. Got a good deal on it, in ex. condition, too! I think I need the M42 adapter...?

4. Takumar 28-80, 3.5. Have no idea which adapter is needed... possibly the M42?

5. Canon FD 24mm, 2.8. (FD mount I'm guessin')... found an absolutely mint one of these... for dirt cheap. Thrilled.

6. "Amcam"/Prinz/Konia 28mm, 2.8 in mint condition (Minolta mount?)

Thanks for your help.... I'll try to post pics tomorrow after I get some sleep!

-Chris

PHOTOS (Dropbox folder)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ya850tttp58p2nm/gPxT3CghNy

The photo of the Olympus is a stock photo (and I haven't received any of these lenses yet, but can't wait to try them out).

edit: added photos of the mount side!

Last edited:
Forgive the crappy audio, just spit out a quick edit of a couple shots from imovie direct to youtube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCmFK7TqB4

It's REALLY bright out right now, and I didn't have any ND handy. As such these shots are all around T15 or so, and a couple are at a very high shutter speed as well.

Really fast lens, I'll have to play with it some more when I have time to get ND in the mix and am able to open it up since it's stopped almost all the way down here.

Very nice lens though, I'd recommend it.

Incredible footage, man. :)

Dig it. Yep. I think the Rokinon 35 and 85 are definitely on the radar (and soon on my main credit card) as well as the Tokina.

Got my Olympus today plus the mount... works great... looks great. $30 plus the $15 adapter... can't beat it (50mm 1.8)

Do any of you guys use follow focuses with your good lenses? I picked up the Kamerar on amazon and mine must be used or something... it is so gritty/stiff... horrible. The play I can deal with... but I put this on my rig with my Olympus lens (very smooth focus ring) and the thing basically grinds to a halt... getting more and more stuff. I've tried adjusting the ring around the lens, and the FF itself.... nothing but issues. Returning to amazon, and getting another. Hopefully I just got a dud.

Was about to say return it, but you are on top of it already. :)

I have an X1 from Proaim, seems nice and smooth to me. Knightly has one from letus (was part of my kit that he got on a trade)

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure that one is from letus, it was part of a kit of stuff I bought from a guy a few years ago, letus adapter, rails, several lenses, FF, etc.

Bear in mind this is a personal and 'eye' preference. For example, do you have an eye and can you see the difference between a 50+ year old Russian lens and a cine lens? Can you tell me which shots are with a 50 year old Russian, photographic lens and a new, Samyang? Last music vid I directed:

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/84971935/ccf932163f

Lenses for me are tools and personally I go with cinema lenses, EF mounts all around as this gives me the biggest bang for my buck, the most flexibility and I can confidently turn up to a shoot and know I will get good footage.

I'm not against photographic lenses and a lot can be corrected in post or there are circumstances when the whole shoot is with a single lens.

For example, next Saturday am directing a music vid and the DoP has a D800 and $2,500 USD of Nikon glass which will stay welded to his camera. The Sunday is a party political broadcast (bizarrely) as local elections are around the corner where I will personally be DoP with a VG10 and it will be cine lens time.

A quick google search turns up several results of people commenting on the quality of that lens. Sounds like as long as it was properly maintained it's a good sharp lens. "better" is subjective

The one you have is a bit faster, but lenses rarely perform their best fully wide open anyway. The one on ebay provides a lot more options for focal length. *shrug*

A quick google search turns up several results of people commenting on the quality of that lens. Sounds like as long as it was properly maintained it's a good sharp lens. "better" is subjective

The one you have is a bit faster, but lenses rarely perform their best fully wide open anyway. The one on ebay provides a lot more options for focal length. *shrug*

ok, thanks

One thing you'll need to keep in mind when using these old FD lenses with an adapter is the crop factor, which would be almost 2X on the T3i.

In other words, all your lens will be almost twice as long, e.g. a 24mm will appear almost as a 50mm...

Youtube searches for each lens and your camera model will often get you to a video where someone is actually testing it for you… I've been impressed with what I saw of the Angineieiouaiouieax line (sorry, just had a vowel movement). It was a few years ago… but glass doesn't' change. I'm still using a 1960s 135mm lens that I love.

...and it also depends how far you want to go. I shoot a mixture of stuff where there is a load of money thrown in and stuff where there is very little money plus I want to shoot my own, short this July or September.

At a certain stage, cine lenses are a given and frankly, it's extremely rare I see photographic lenses anywhere near a 'pro' shoot. Amateurs are mainly photographic lenses until they (in my case, 'me') realize the massive advantages of t lenses.

There is a reason cinema lenses are used in, well, cinema. Using photographic lenses makes life more inflexible and difficult. But don't take my word for it. Instead, get onto a professional shoot with decent cameras and look at the lenses they use. 95% of the time, you won't see an f-stop in sight.

In fact, you can just google professional shoots and look for yourself.

Back