Wolverine film review

The pundits thought the tent poles were saturating the market, with bombs like "The Lone Ranger" and "RIPD", but then Wolverine comes in to rake it in the box office, and, of course, this comes on top of the first Wolverine movie, which was a bomb. So, once again, the business surprises.

In any case, it's no spoiler to say the plot involves a Japanese high-tech company in Japan, taken from the storyline written by Frank Miller in 1982. Japanese companies were doing well then, but, in 2013, the plot seems pretty quaint, to think of a high-tech Japanese company being anything more than moribund.

Will be seeing this in a few weeks. I never really got into the X-Men movies (didn't really care for the comic books, either), but my Wolverine figures have been flying off the shelf like hotcakes. Gonna see what all the fuss is about: Wolverine Pop! vinyl

Saw it a couple nights ago. Much better than the first (not that that was hard to do). It's certainly not a perfect film, but overall it's pretty solid and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Most of the complaints I've heard come from people who are much bigger fans of the source material than I am. One of the only things that really stuck out to me was the obvious concessions made to get a PG-13 rating. You've got a guy with blades coming out of his hands, hacking and slashing his way through ninjas and other assorted bad guys, and 90% of the time it's entirely implied - it's like he's just punching people. I can't remember once seeing blood on his blades during a fight.

Other than that I have to say I actually preferred it over some of the recent tent-pole blockbusters I've seen because it's so much more focused on a couple people and their interactions rather than giant overblown action sequences. The action is great too, but it's well balanced with story and characterization, and it's not constantly dialed up to 11.

I agree. Star Trek had clever references, but, somehow, it didn't do anything; Superman was good, but, again, had a slow start.

Wolverine, however, is a good movie.

I really enjoyed it. One of the things I appreciated most about this movie is how much it is about getting us inside Logan's head.

Can you imagine if Aronofsky had stayed on to direct?

On a side-note, Mogul, Japanese tech companies are doing just fine. :)

Back