• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'm looking for a feature script

I'm searching for a feature length script for a no budget production. I don't care about genre, but the script must be character/dialog driven. No pay, just credit and copy. I prefer to work with someone local to the Southern California area.

Send inquiries to margerake@communeanimations.com

Producer - and possibly direct if the writer doesn't have anyone in mind or I can't find someone with the good vision.

As for my credentials, for the sake of lowering expectations and not going into my filmmaking career, lets just say, I have none. As for resources, I'll just say, I'm, creative. That's not really saying much is it.

At least youre humble and honest in a resume-padded bullshit industry. That's saying something. Goes a long way in my book.

(but unfortunately not far enough to get films made) :D

You completely ruling out shorts? Strictly feature length?

Not completely opposed to shorts. And would be willing to take one or two on if they are interesting.

The reason I'm looking for feature length is because I just lost 2 feature projects. One I had just finished the breakdown and the other was a lot farther along. Breakdown, schedule, budget, biz plan, website, teaser trailer, crew short list and potential investors (all of wqhich are tightly packed away just in case). There ended up being professional/creative differences between the writer and myself which we both attribute to being so far apart geographically. I could take legal action since I had options on the scripts, but for me it wasn't going to be worth teh agrivation and I'm just walking away quietly. This is why I'm looking for someone more local to wrk with.

I guess when you say no pay, what you mean is that you've got no development money, but would be willing to defer payment subject to distribution.

I can understand why you're not looking at shorts as there is no real market for them.

As for working with someone local, can I suggest that that isn't always the answer. The trick is finding a writer who understands the process of no budget film making and also understands that the Producer always has creative control of the project. That's difficult when there is no money involved up front.

I've just spent the last two years writing and directing my first feature and I know what a task finding like minded people can be. Especially when there isn't a wage up front.

What I would suggest as a way of attracting good writing talent is to decide to work in a genre that you no you can sell sucessfully on the global market, without having high production values, a know cast or an established production company. If you look at he direct to DVD market, you'll find out what I'm talking about.

A project like that would get a feature under your belt and demosnstrate to future investors that you can make money, This would probably finance your next project.

Anyhow, good luck with the project. I'd offer something of mine, but all the feature scripts I've currently got lying arond, awaiting development, are very English in style and setting.

Good luck mate

Back