what's the difference between funding a movie independently and through a studio?

I'm a bit confused on the specifics of funding a movie. If you get a script funded by a studio, does that mean it's no longer an independent film? Are there studios that only fund independent films as opposed to blockbusters, or does the phrase "independent" mean "no studio"?

If that's the case, then does funding a movie independently simply mean going around and getting investments and then making it on your own, and then trying to sell it to a studio later for distribution? If so, who would you generally get to invest in your film (besides Kickstarter), like would you go to production companies? Just looking to get this cleared up cause im new to all this

I'm a bit confused on the specifics of funding a movie. If you get a script funded by a studio, does that mean it's no longer an independent film? Are there studios that only fund independent films as opposed to blockbusters, or does the phrase "independent" mean "no studio"?
A studio project is not an independent project. Any project funded by a studio
is a studio project.

If that's the case, then does funding a movie independently simply mean going around and getting investments and then making it on your own, and then trying to sell it to a studio later for distribution?
You've got it. When a project is funded without any studio money it is considered
"independent".

If so, who would you generally get to invest in your film (besides Kickstarter), like would you go to production companies? Just looking to get this cleared up cause im new to all this
ProdCo's invest, individuals invest, groups invest. Often the the filmmaker pays for
everything

A studio project is not an independent project. Any project funded by a studio
is a studio project.

You've got it. When a project is funded without any studio money it is considered
"independent".

ProdCo's invest, individuals invest, groups invest. Often the the filmmaker pays for
everything

Okay thanks. When you say the filmmaker pays for everything is that in the case of not being able to secure outside interest and investments?

If that's the case, then does funding a movie independently simply mean going around and getting investments and then making it on your own, and then trying to sell it to a studio later for distribution? If so, who would you generally get to invest in your film (besides Kickstarter), like would you go to production companies? Just looking to get this cleared up cause im new to all this

This is the big independent filmmaker question. It takes money to make movies. Investors want to see a proven profitable track record. It's the chicken and the egg. There are two hard parts in the business side of movie making. Getting the money and selling your movie. Producers get paid wads and wads of money to perform this role.

Other than that, there are multiple books and training packages. I suggest you go read up. Then if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

So why have I heard Lionsgate being called an independy studio? Sorry I can't provide a source.....I just have it in my head for some reason :/
Lionsgate is a rising company. They started as an independent company but
they still aren't considered one of the six major studios. The more commonly
used term is "mini-major". Perhaps in Australia the term "independy studio"
is used - although I couldn't find any source either. One of the current "majors"
started as an independent company and another has dropped to a privately
held independent so things change. As they acquire smaller prodCo's and build
their distribution arm they may soon be considered a "studio".

A) "Independent" means a film a full time, ongoing, taxable, legal entity with a physical office/studio isn't financing+producing+distributing. The formal version.

B) "Independent" means a film a no studio can figure out how to make a buck offa the idea so you have to go finance+produce+distribute it all by yourself. The poor man's, add-on, de facto version.

Back