Stupid Question

i am wondering what it is that the director of Photography does and how can i learn to be a dp? I am a photographer and very interested in doing this- can someone please give me some advice on what equpiment i need or what programs i need to learn??
Thanks !!!

luckwings said:
i am wondering what it is that the director of Photography does and how can i learn to be a dp? I am a photographer and very interested in doing this- can someone please give me some advice on what equpiment i need or what programs i need to learn??
Thanks !!!

No question is stupid. Try books on "Cinematography", and get familiar with lighting and film cameras. The Cinematographers Manual by the ASC is the Bible for the DP. That's a start. I'm sure you will get a more detailed answer from our members. :wink:

Director of Photography
AKA: DP, DoP

A cinematographer who is ultimately responsible for the process of recording a scene in the manner desired by the director. The Director of Photography has a number of possible duties: selection of film stock, cameras, and lenses; designing and selecting lighting, directing the gaffer's placement of lighting; shot composition (in consultation with the director); film developing and film printing.
Taken from the imdb.com

Hope that helps you out! :) The book indie told you about helps ALOT! Check your local bookstore or liberay for it.

...good suggestions.

Combintion of artist and scientist. I dare say the science of it is more important. At least when beginning. Some may disagree. I wouldnt concern myself with stlye at all until a solid understanding of the science.

For example, many of the DPs heroics arent so much their style, but their ability to match a complex shot that was done months or even years ago. Like maybe the shot was orignially done during the summer at dusk in Africa. Now you have to match perfectly and its now winter at noon, or maybe even midnight in Texas.

I'm in photography school myself and they are very different, but your knowlege on lighting will help, but not all the rules apply, like with lighting ratios for portraits and stuff. Also, knowing your lenses will help.

Back