Press kits

So I've decided to send a short off to the Flicker fests... free entry sounds good to me! :cool:

Apparently people send press kits with their submissions. Just what exactly does that entail?

I'm assuming it would be a sheet or two of information: bios/pics of people associated with it, a blurb about the film... and that's as far as I can think.

What kinds of press kits have you made. and what would be other helpful things to include in these shameless promo packages?

steve - my team and i had to do a press pack for our play.

i guess it depends on what your production is -
i am not sure how i can apply what we did to what you need to do, so i'll just toss what we did in your face and make with it what you will/can.

our play (Hitler on Trial) was about Hitler's mysterious death in the bunker, toward the end of the WW2. He applies to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, where David Blunkett tells him he must put forward a case for his entry. thus begins the trial. etc etc

what we included was -
a) pictures of the main cast in action (we put on the play at the local stage and took pics then)

b) a cd featuring a selection of songs from the play (it was a musical)
+ also including interviews + monologues with characters/witnesses that did not get put in the play

c) a questionnaire - from which you could find out whether you would enter Heaven or Hell.

d) the usual - synopsis, bios etc

e) reviews that we had recieved - especially the negative ones (our selling point was it was very controversial)

f) made up rubbish to compliment the premise - like past examples of succesful cases for getting into heaven (Pol Pot, Freddy Roosevelt) and ones not so sucessful (Amin, Freddy Mercury etc)

all of this was there to try and create a real identity to the world we were creating on stage, to try and make it an 'experience' to go see.
hope this helps.

something that we were to include (but couldn't due to lack of funds)
free condoms -
it was tied into the act, one of the characters works for the UN and he does that (it was a gag at Edinburgh's expense)
so, if you got some kind of cheap prop tied into the act, then throw that in there

sorry if this stuff isn't applicable - whatever helps eh?

Zen,

Why don't you enter your work in the Wreck-Beach Film Festival?

Nique,

I anxiously await the day of your first (cinematic) release....My third eye sees you authoring genres never conceived of before in the Milky Way.

Can I put an indulgence for Freddie Mercury on Master Card?

Last edited:
Thanks peeps. I think I have a fair idea of what to do now. :cool:

I suppose the first one is always the hardest. I imagine the format basically remains the same for each new project, so saving templates would be a good idea.

For short film submissions, it would just be a single package... right? For the person that reviews the material?

_______

Oh, Ms. Bird... I saw the bumped thread on Wreck-Beach right after I posted this. As soon as I finish the package for this, I'll be zipping an entry over. (And depending on how fast I go on the ITOOFC #3 re-edit, possibly a second submission).

That's a nice looking one! Ta for sharing. :)

Btw... that fridge you have is awesome. The only thing that could compete with that, would be replacing the K-40 with an equivalent amount of Steinlager. :beer:

Satire said:
Hi Stephen:

Your "In My Image" press kit is informative and well done. Quite an adventure for your family as well. It is nice of you to share it with us.

Satire.
Let me quickly correct that. I just found that press kit while doing some Google searching on someone involved with making "In My Image". I sure can't take any credit for the film. Gee, it was nice to bask in the glory of it for a moment though!
:yes:

Actually, I don't do any kind of film work at all. I'm strictly video, and none of it is in the entertainment realm at all. My business "sound bite" is "Video to Inform and Persuade". I try to hang around here to learn. Most of the industrial video sites are big into the technical side of things, but I know that I still have much to learn in composition, flow, and other artistic areas. Even though what I do isn't specifically to entertain, I appreciate the importance of going well beyond technical competence - especially when it comes to the "Persuade" type videos (i.e. political ads).

Thanks.

Stephen

Back