anyone watching the new Project Greenlight

HAWKEYE said:
I am a responsible, considerate adult male, so I am quite glad that my wife, who was also watching this episode, spoke up and said, "if I ever come in contact with that bitch, I'll smack her head off!"

Tell your wife THANK YOU for saying what we as males could not!

If your TV has Bravo it's easy...the show is repeated about 3 or 4 times each week. They just started shooting the movie; it's starting to get fun, what with all the buckets of blood spraying around the set and people getting their faces ripped off! Did anyone check out Jason Mewes' makeup?

I'm not a huge fan of obvious gore, but it looks wild shooting actresses with garden hoses filled with fake blood! That poor girl...did you catch her screaming about how it burned her eyes? Nasty stuff. I like how she insisted on body-hugging Moore and Gulager after she was soaked with it; simple revenge is always the BEST revenge IMO!

Bob
www.futuredv.blogspot.com

I saw an episode of the current season...
I thought that the dude whiner. He needs to take charge.. If someone does somehting that he doesn't like, TELL THEM so they won't do it again.. and if they do, then they get Trumped!
If he didn't want that acress as the lead then she sholdn't be there PERIOD... Unless, that is, that the exec producer said they had to be there.. then there's nothing you can do.. but you as the producer of your film is the BOSS of the casting agent and if she isn't doing her job, TELL HER...

Communication is the key to ANY relationship. Friends, business, family... COMMUNICATE PEOPLE!!!

I like PGL.. I think it's cool to see a big production behind the scenes.. It's not Indie, in my eyes, but it's cool to see it all.

The best description of what makes a film independant, and what makes a director an indie filmmaker I've heard is this: "If you (the director/producer/etc) have the final cut, then it's an indie film, if the studio gets to ultimately make the decision on how your film is cut, you are not."

So, no.. this is definately NOT an indie project, because though they're letting him go through the motions of being the director.. I think in a lot of ways his hands are tied. They get final say on the casting, crew, everything, and in reality, it should be the director who gets to decide who to work with and whatnot, on an indie film anyway. Afterall, the reason people started doing indie films in the first place was so that they didn't have to let someone ELSE tell them what they can and can't do, and who can and can't be involved.

I will say this much though, he was very stupid to think that he could cast his whole family. It's cool that he got two of 'em, but more would have been way too much. The reality is that he was scared to work on a project without them, not that he's convinced they are great actors or perfect for the parts... maybe he won't even admit that to himself, but whatever.. anyhoo since I was working last night, I haven't seen the latest episode yet.. I think I'll go watch the recorded show now. ;)

On the new season I only saw the end of the one where the casting agent casts a female for Heroine that he doesn't like and he just mopes and whines about it instead of telling her his thoughts.
I did not know about him getting family members in the film.. .I hope they can act, or whatever job their doing... Perhaps this guy is better as a writer than anything anything else...

He wasn't in the contest as a writer though... he was in as a director.. but the thing is, everyone in his film that he submitted was his family members. It looked like it was really good, but he was in his comfort zone. I think he does have good directing talent, but he's too timid, and his feelings get hurt too easily.. so then he shuts down mentally, and nobody knows what's going on and it pisses everyone off.. that's my take on the latest episode. ;)

Cool... Unfortunately.. Thursday night is family TV night.. Survivor with the kids, then put them to bed real quick and watch CSI.... I'll catch one of the reruns... or at lease hope to..

We started production on the REAL teaser now.. so I'm a BIZZY MAN... Hence me backing out of the ITOOFC.

I agree... NOT Independent!

Here's the thing... I have always been such a fan of John's father Clu.
The teaser for next week shows his dad standing up for him, should I be looking forward to that?!

John has to grow a pair! Don't suggest... TELL!
But, hey... It's just TV! LOL!

Back to filmmaking!

-HAWKEYE

If ever there was proof that the more you prepare the better off you are...film students should be forced to watch all three Greenlights, as an example of what NOT to do.

I heard someone mention storyboards...where are they? Certainly the DP hasn't seen them.

What's everyone's feeling on the DP? Is he just stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Though they's got a kick ass first AD...the guy with the Irish accent. I'd have him on my crew any day!

You Are Alone site

Should be an interesting episode tonight. :scared:

On the casting director thing.

If this was the real deal, she's contracted to cast the film. There's obviously a previous relationship between her and other involved otherwise she wouldn't be this controlling.

And I agree, the director needs to get a pair. But, he's so green and so convinced that they'll just shut him down that he's running scared. Unlike real Hollywood, he's in a good position.

They have this whole freakin' show to shoot for a whole season. If he were to walk the whole series would collapse. I dunno' what they've said to keep him scared, but he's actually got some power and he needs to exert it or no one... NO ONE will ever hire him after this movie's done.

Of course, there'e the question. Has any Project Greenlight winner gone on to big time work?

JC

the problem with Gulager, I think, is that he went in with unrealistic expectations.

You can't sell a film with only your family members, and the fact that he got two, he's lucky if you ask me. Also, he kept naming all these other filmmakers who did this or that. Hey, Gulager! You are not Cassevetes or Woody Allen. You are an untried director working on your first film. You kind of need to learn to listen.

Also, they had unrealistic expectations of him. They knew who they hired from the beginning, they should need to have more patience with him (actually, they did) but still...
It's project greenlight, they know this is, for lack of a better way to put it, it seems to be
an experiment, even if it is in its 3rd season.

--spinner

Yeah Spinner, I kind of agree...Gulager expected all his family members to be obvious choices for significant roles in the movie. He needed to learn that he's not making a video movie in his basement for his friends. I think that's the reason Michelle Gertz (the casting director) decided to take the initiative and cast her favorite, Navi, for the lead. Gulager didn't assert himself, and she felt entitled to do what she did.

I have a feeling this is the last season of PGL...Miramax is now "divorced" from Disney, and if "Feast" isn't a money-recouping enterprise, I expect Bob and Harvey to pass on the show next time around and stick with tested directors and writers for their projects. Which would be a shame, but that's the reality of the movie bidness.

I'd like to see "Feast" turn out to be successful. If they can make the performances look great, and get the humor of the script into the final product (I read the script, and it's funny and cheesy and gory, just like the kind of movie that would play good on Mystery Science Theater 3000), it'll have a good chance at success.

We'll see...I think next week is the series' finale, and then the movie will be released sometime soon.

I want to see 'Feast' also. I gotta see how this turns out. Maybe Gulager could be a good director. He has been given a chance that alot of people would like to have. I hope he makes good after all this...

...isn't that what we all want?

--spinner

Of course it is. Having a real studio to work with, along with a multi-million dollar budget...Christ, I'd fooking LOVE to have an opportunity like that!

If PGL goes for a 4th season, I'll submit an entry. I checked out the top ten entries on the Bravo web site, and I know that I can be competitive. Hey, maybe I can get away with writing AND directing the thing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the final episode. And the movie sometime soon...

I wasn't let down. The film hasn't been released yet. But it all boils down to is the film any good. Things look good for Gulager, but the film still has to prove itself.

It wasn't a let down, it seems that this is just how things are progressing....

--spinner

Back