What do you do with your trailers?

I hope this is the right forum...

I've seen most indie filmmakers edit trailers for their films, often even their shorts.

Why do you make them, and what do you do with them, besides posting them on your own sites?

Do you use them to generate direct sales (if you're doing your own distribution)?

Do you use them to generate interest from distributors?

Do you post them anywhere besides your own site(s)?

Do you prepend them on other indie DVD's?

If you author and distribute your own DVD's, do you solicit other filmmakers for their trailers to put on your DVD to help them out?

Just curious... Thanks!

RocketCar.TheIndieFilm.com

rocketcar said:
Do you use them to generate direct sales (if you're doing your own distribution)?

Yes

Sometimes. Most times they want to see the finished product and not a trailer.

There are many sites that allow posting of trailers such as forums, media outlets, etc.

I've never done this or seen this done just out of generosity but Im sure distributors do it.

If you author and distribute your own DVD's, do you solicit other filmmakers for their trailers to put on your DVD to help them out?

Again, never done it but thats no reason why we couldnt.

rocketcar said:
I hope this is the right forum...

I've seen most indie filmmakers edit trailers for their films, often even their shorts.

Why do you make them, and what do you do with them, besides posting them on your own sites?

I do it to tease with teaser or giving the audience a small glimpse to the story, to create hype/buzz/publicity.

rocketcar said:

Sometimes yes, they do help for direct sales, but most of the time, you do it to promote your film, so it would get additional attention from media, from fellow filmmakers, from distributors, or anyone who might like what they saw and would want to contact you for other projects.

rocketcar said:

Yes, I've have trailers that was used in particularly to generate interest from distributors, or trailers or promo video to generate interest from investors.

rocketcar said:
yeap, many sites, and also announce it at as many sites I know of to generate the attention.

rocketcar said:

Yes, many filmmakers had asked for my trailers to be part of their dvd set, which is fine with me, because it helps them (more stuff on their DVD) and helps me (more publicity)

rocketcar said:

Yes, especially my latest DVD for A Joker's Card, it has about 6-7 short films and trailers from other filmmakers who were involved in mine.

rocketcar said:
Just curious... Thanks!

RocketCar.TheIndieFilm.com

This questions sounded like a survey :)

Back