How much would you pay?

Alright guys, I just got done talking with some guy whos interested in my show. He's been doing this indy thing for like 17 years. Hes got some DVD's oversees, that I guess brought him some profit, Hes worked for MTV's Real World, and Hes got some deal with HBO. He told me that I should charge A higher amount for film submissions. How much would you guys, and gals be willing to pay for a TV show that airs in a really good time slot on the UPN affiliate in Vegas? He told me he would pay like $100 to $200 bucks. How much are you really willing to pay? Give the highest amount. I just need to know how much is enough, and i have to charge or else I can't get a sweet time slot. Thanks

vegasindiestv said:
A How much would you guys, and gals be willing to pay for a TV show that airs in a really good time slot on the UPN affiliate in Vegas? He told me he would pay like $100 to $200 bucks.

So your saying that if we pay you say 30 dollars to air the show in a good time slot on UPN, this guy is going to pay you for the shorts? So wouldn't some of the money go back to the filmmaker for his shorts? Understand what I meant there?

Say we pay you 30 bucks, he likes it and buys them from you for 200, would the filmmaker get back say half of the 200 plus his 30 dollars? 130? Just wondering as I don't quite understand how it would work out. :)
Sounds like a cool deal though.

My thoughts exactly Steve. America's funniest home videos never charged submissions. Then again, they got cancelled after having no money for a decent host or format... :) Weren't they also on UPN? (just kidding vegas)

Sorry Hail your way off, he was just saying that he expects to pay that much in submission fees. Meaning you the filmmaker would pay that much to get your film on the show. And Zen i would have to charge like $1500 for each commercial to have enough to pay for a time slot which is like $4000 and sometimes more, and I don't want 20 commercials, which would make the commercials cheaper, but then were's the show. So if i charge the filmmaker A small fee like $30 then that would help towards all costs, plus I would like to give out prizes, like real prizes. You know camera, light kits, money. But it doesn't seem like filmmakers want to pay the fee. And yes if they pay there movie goes on the air. I don't know what to do? Also Yes It would be nice if commercisla can cover it but not everyone wants to advertise on a new show. So that's where the submission fee would help incase we don't get clients for that show. And one more thing I would like to mke this show weekly instead of monthly. This show can really help the filmmakers out. And the more popular it gets, you never know maybe some big names will help out. Like I'll fund your movie if you win on VegasIndiesTv it's all possible. I just need support. And i haven't gotten it from alot of people. Maybe Indietalk wants to help?

Last edited:
Vegas, prizes are typically comps from the manufacturers. You'd want to pick up a local (or national) film/video store like B&H to sponsor the show. They'd pay for their name being on the show (mentioned and a sign or something) and then provide some cool kit to give away.

Pay for play is scetchy and will reduce the show to a payola racket (seen mtv lately?). You could justifiably charge a nominal ($10) submission to cover staff to actually screen the tapes and clear them for air (if used), but actually footing the airtime with the content providers money is downright sleazy. Some rich moron who wouldn't know his schphincter from an iris could bankroll his entire toenail clipping miniseries and by rights, you would have to air it.

I don't know...the only time one of my shorts played TV, they payed me four times my budget for the rights to air it non-exclusively for 3 years.

I love film, and I have NEVER watched a program of shorts, not even on Sundance, or the IFC. I see shorts online or at film fests.

TV and shorts don't mix, in my opinion.

I guess the 2 biggest questions to me though, regarding your entry fee:

1. what are your ratings? (How many people are watching?)

2. What sort of clout fo you offer filmmakers. What does it really mean to "win" something from your show?

the short that made money

Pay to play is most likely not going to happen, especially if it is in the $300 range. You need to have sponsors. There's got to be some camera shops or theaters or something in Vegas you can talk to.

$4000 is not that much!

And I have watched the shorts on IFC, they change quite often. Some, are good. Some are terrible. I also like to watch the One-Reel-Wonders on TCM.

Last edited:
See I agree with you guys. 'm going to have to find sponsors to help with the show. And the commercial time is going to have to help too. As for prizes Anamorphic, yeah i know it;s easy too just have a film/video company, pump out the prizes, but it's always easier said than done. Everytime i try to get someone to help sponsor they kinda back off, i think it's because it's a new show and people are always iffy. But it's all good i'll just keep looking for sponsors, someone will help. Thanks guys i needed that.

O ya and wideshot, $4000 does get expensive when you have 4 shows a month. You figure 16,000k I don't know of many sponsors that are going to give out that much money, every month. And I guess i work for free. Maybe i'll let soemone else do this show.

Last edited:
Back in the early 90's, when I was in college, I had a buddy who had a radio show on the campus station (we're talking about not enough power to get more than 2 miles out from the tower). He went to local department stores and asked for prizes - they'd give him $200 in gift certificates on the spot. And mind you, John was not a good salesman.

Stick with it and keep positive. You've gotta believe in the show (or at least appear to) before anyone is going to come with on the journey and help you out. Use the "new filmmakers buy stuff" approach. No gaffer who's done 3 films will buy as much as a newbie just getting started. ;) Your audience represents money, Spending Money! We all get inspired by seeing great shorts right? That means that people who never thought "hey, I could do that" are going to be watching this show and your advertisers are going to be prime influence on where they're gonna turn to...

Maybe I should produce after all. lol

You can also start off in some odd time slot. Once you get some viewership, then you can push for a better one. Use the radio stations to push the show too. DJ's talk for free between songs, so if you can get them into the show, you'll have lots of word of mouth going before you know it.

We're here for ya. Just don't bail on it yet. And if this show sucks, I'll kick your ass when I'm at NAB. :D

vegasindiestv said:
See I agree with you guys. 'm going to have to find sponsors to help with the show. And the commercial time is going to have to help too. As for prizes Anamorphic, yeah i know it;s easy too just have a film/video company, pump out the prizes, but it's always easier said than done. Everytime i try to get someone to help sponsor they kinda back off, i think it's because it's a new show and people are always iffy. But it's all good i'll just keep looking for sponsors, someone will help. Thanks guys i needed that.

O ya and wideshot, $4000 does get expensive when you have 4 shows a month. You figure 16,000k I don't know of many sponsors that are going to give out that much money, every month. And I guess i work for free. Maybe i'll let soemone else do this show.

Start small with one show, generate interest, talk to sponsors, maybe get some local filmmakers on the show. Get creative with the advertising, like maybe have a sponsor from a camera shop come on and review a Z1 and tell people where they can get it or something.

Its a great idea... so start small and grow.

Also, you might consider soliciting filmmakers of shorts at CineVegas or any of the other ones.

Please dont think Im being negative or making light of 4000 a show. Im trying to say I believe asking filmmakers to front money in large sums is going the wrong way. If anything, you should have sponsorship and prizes or cash to give the filmmakers for appearing on the show. Their content is what allows you to sell sponsorship.

Title sponsorship could be awesome too, like "Vegas Indies TV presented by Tommy's Camera Shop".

Very true, wideshot well I'm trying to get this local resturant to sponsor me and i think there interested so im going to work them. Thanks again guys and no worries wideshot, I know what you were saying.

Back