• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What if...?

C

cherubsher

:idea: I was just thinking about the whole art and format of screenplay writing and how difficult it can be. I see that there are programs out there that help with the format etc. Sites such as scriptbuddy.com etc.
Then I starting laughing cause I was thinking that while it is really cool they have such sites for those who know how to write, it is too bad that they don't have a program for people like me. You know... the kind whereby I could input the free form outline of my own origional story, characters etc. and then the program could then magically come up with the end result screenplay, dialogue and all!!! All I would have to do is edit it and change it a little here and there and voila!!
Wishfull thinking I know..... :wink:

Why not...?

Cherubsher:

Question for you... :?
Why not just learn how to write a screenplay - the basics - and go for it? I know you're an actor and all, and perhaps do not view yourself as a writer - perhaps you don't even want to be a writer, but still... :!:

I'm a director. I've always directed - one thing or another. I never saw myself as a writer, but when I found myself having to learn where the writer was coming from, the structure of a screenplay so I could take the written form and transfer it to the visual - I said what the hell! So now I am writing my own screenplay, and although arduous and tedious - it isn't really all that bad! And using a program like Final Draft really helps! :D

Anyway - just a thought - "what if?" I see where you're going, but perhaps you need a better vehicle. Good luck!

John.

Good One

Hee Hee, That is a great reply GreatwarEagle! Touche!
That 'What if???' thought was born out of a sense of frustration at my lack of knowledge. I am sure many great ideas/inventions were born the same way. I would be rich if I did persevere, and come up with a program like that EH? (I am Canadian 8) )
Anyway, I was just being somewhat a dreamer/funny about that hypothetical idea, and not in any way serious (ok maybe a little) as I know from what I have been learning about writers, it is all about the PROCESS. So my screenplay program idea would take away from that.

origin68 - Great Quote! I love it. Really hit home for me as I have been so focused and immersed in my new pastime of writing! Since I have been so determined to get my story down in written format, I have inadvertedly been learning to wear a new Hat. And boy what a big hat it is! Tedious but extremely rewarding so far!
The hard part for me is finding the time as I am an actor and wife and mother of four children. Hence the searching for a collaborator in the beginning.
I was naive as I completely thought that all I needed to do was:
Get my story down in outline form,
Find the professional writer and have him/her put it together into a screenplay for me.
We would work together through the editing process and then we would successfully get it produced, share the profit and win an academy award for Best Original Screenplay! Sounds like a good dream EH? Hmm Hmm and then I woke up! :wink:
So with that being said and since I do not have any time or money to take a class/course, if anyone has any good sites I can go to that will teach me anything at all about writing, I would greatly appreciate it.
Have a great day! :lol:
By the way, is there any other Canadians on this forum?

Resources

Cherubsher:

I know of only a few sites that offer good advice for screenwriters. Syd Field - a notable character in the screenwriting world has his own website that is actually pretty good: www.sydfield.com

He also published a few books on screenwriting: "Screenplay" by Syd Field - around $14.95 - -oops! :? $22.95 Canada - what is up with that! Boy you Canadians get shafted on books and magazines...is that the exchange or something? Always wondered that....

Anyway - also consider "The New Screenwriter's Journal". It is really - internal - about screenwriting, but offers great insights and might help you.

When my story/stories came to me - I went out and bought a few books, purchased a screenwriting software program (Final Draft), and got busy.
You should too...Good Luck!!!!!

John.

Back