• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Funds needed for Fan Film

As the title states, I'm in the process of creating a fan film (a film based on a movie or television show). It is a SciFi film that we want to make as best as we can, but have limited funding. Generally speaking, fan films don't always make money, so finding investers is difficult. And since it is SciFi, there is not many grants available. I looking for ideas for alternatives.

proxima said:
As the title states, I'm in the process of creating a fan film (a film based on a movie or television show). It is a SciFi film that we want to make as best as we can, but have limited funding. Generally speaking, fan films don't always make money, so finding investers is difficult. And since it is SciFi, there is not many grants available. I looking for ideas for alternatives.
Are you asking for alternatives to funding this movie yourself?
Or alternative ways of saving and earing the money yourself?

As you mention there really isn't a market for a fan film to return its investment or show a profit, so you're essentially looking for people to hand you money so you can make your movie. That's going to be hard sell - especially on a message board like this where we are all making movies, using our own money.

How much money do you need to make your movie?
Is it a Star Wars film?
Have you made other movies?

Are you asking for alternatives to funding this movie yourself?
Yes
Or alternative ways of saving and earing the money yourself?
NO

Many fan films are made with the hope of expressing our capabilities in producing films. We realize that it takes money to produce such films. How much money affects the type, whether it would be live action with physical sets, or CGI figures. We are hoping to produce live action and possibly submit as a pilot. But we don't want to dilute ourselves. Nor are we in production, we are looking into options while negotiating with the rights holders.

Is it a Star Wars film?
No, it is a remake of a 1970's Sci Fi show. The people I have have done commercial work, editing, set design and building, CGI using Lightwave and other application. I have even attracted professional writers that have written episodes for the Star Trek franchise. Talent is not my problem.

Actually any advise would be helpful and appreciated.

So it's not so much a fan film as it is an idea for an updated version of an old series... to use to get permission from the rights holder to use the original series as its basis.

Have you already contacted the person/people who owns the rights now? Maybe they would be interested in seeing their old series come to life again, and would be able to point you in the right direction for financers and such, so that you can produce something that is worth their time to review before deciding whether or not to grant you the rights. Never know, they might just want to jump on board and then you'd already have the rights available to you. ;)

Looks as if you have several great resources for funding: the professional writers, the editors and the design and commercial people.

These are all people who have already expressed interested in your film. These are the people you should ask for funds.

If you have already asked them, and they have refused to help you with money, then you are back to asking people you don’t know and who don’t know you.

As you point out; this film will be something YOU can use to further your career, something that will demonstrate your ability to produce a movie. That means you need to find someone who already believes in you, someone who is willing to give you money with little possibility of getting it back.

Film investors are usually interested in funding films as an investment. Other filmmakers - like the people on these boards - are just like you; they are hitting up their friends and family for money to produce THEIR movie.

I would suggest family and friends.

And, of course, the talented people who have already agreed to work on your film.

Have you put together a budget yet?

Ok, reading this thread, thought of it, if this is a quasy fan film and you yet to be able to get permission to do this with the original series, for funding (basing you can't get permission, etc) for a 'fan film' here's a few outlet you might be able to try...

First get yourself a budget/proposal written, yes, it would be helpful, at least to have a rough idea of how much you need and what is needed etc.

2. contact all your friends and such to round up all the talent needed for each department, then deduct their cost value off your budget list so now you ended up with a more realistic to get amount

3. see what else you can get for 'free' or 'volunteer' so again, it will help trim down the amount, of course, always add in a 20% constigency (or more in case need it)

4. talk to those people you are most friend with, present them the idea and see what they think (I personally like the direct face to face or phone approach when asking money from friends, but some people gets offensive), those who you have professional contact with, a letter is better than an email request... Set up a donation packages, like for $100, what you get in return, as you mentioned and this is based of a fan film, it's harder to get investment but rather donations. And keeping in mind with copyright concerns, your finished project can't be played at any festivals that are charging money for people to come watch, and you are expected to give it out freely the finish product so most 'investors' rather to be called donators that would help clear the 'mudded' copyright concern.

6. solicitate as much donations as you can, make sure every letters/written documents has the mentioning of fan film and it is not for sale/profit, so it would make it easier pitch, think of this as a fundraiser for a nonprofit org.

7. if you have previously worked clips, have them readied when you approach friends/network of contacts who yet to know your talent, your previous clips/work would help them be interested.

8. don't stop begging :) or max out your credit card.

9. If all fails, go bck to 1.

Johnny

Back