How do you organize your DVD/Video Collection?

What's the method to your madness?

• Alphabetically

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Chronologically

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By Rating

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • By Favorite Actor/Actress or Director

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • By Genre

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • All I can say is, Think "High Fidelity"...

• Some combination of the above

• What collection? All my money goes into MY movies!

• Organize? What's that?

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Other (please explain in a reply)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Depends on the mood I'm in when I do my rearranging.

Sometimes it's aphabetical. Sometimes it's by director or studio. Once I did it by genre, but that didn't last long cause I'm such a fan of genre bending movies I was always reconfiguring the set up.

Poke

I try to do Alphabetical, but it gets hard to keep them in order, since I don't have room to do it really... The DVDs stay close, for the most part, but the VHS end up mostly just kind of lumped together however they'll fit on the shelf (stacked about 4 rows deep)

Voted Hi-Fidelity

Currently organised on fourteen shelves, firstly by country of origin, then by director and chronologically. So in order to find Nikita you have to know that it's a French film, directed by Luc Besson and also that it was made after Subway, but before the Big Blue.

The only exception to this rule is the small Hollywood section, where all the Alien films are kept together, rather than split up amongst the various directors. I may have to think about that :lol:

I have thought of organising them alphabetically, but using the screenwriter's second name rather than the title to do this, which would mean using the Imdb everytime I wanted to find anything, but would really help me remember writers rather than directors, which is something I'm trying to do.

I have 3,846 laser discs and closing in on 800 DVD's. And my collection of 2,500 records and 14 Beta tapes.

Every once in a while I think about organising them (usually after spending half an hour looking for a title) but the thought of figuring out a plan...

Head explodes!

Good lord, that's one mighty collection. Laserdiscs take up so much space too. and they're not the lightest thing in the world, nor is that much vinyl...

I wonder what the gross weight of your collection is directorik. ;)

I used to organize all of my video tapes chronologically. Now, I just stick them anywhere in the bookcases. I hardly ever watch them and, now and then, I have to unload them from the bookcases when I'm re-arranging furniture. It's just easier not to worry about keeping them in order.

I will group Movie and TV series together, but the rest are scattered around. It makes it more interesting for others to look through the DVDs.

Heh, I speak for all of about 40 DVDs (lol - pathetic, I know). I have a cupboard that I shove all my DVDs in... The top shelf is dedicated to the BEST movies, and I throw the crappy movies at the back of the second shelf and glare at them angrily.

Music CDs and books are different--Alpha by artist/author, then chrono if more than one by the artist/author. (That is...that's what I PLAN to do once I get my CDs and books out of the boxes). Movies are more difficult to group that way. There is no ONE artist, per se, to easily group by. Star? Director? Studio? How do you decide?

Regardless, any attempt to neatly organize anything will be completely undone by my kids within a day.

I use freeware Movienizer. It's pretty good and if you guys keep your collection in some text or Excel docs it can import the information from out there. Besides I easily download film info, covers, photos from different movie related databases supported by Movienizer and then save them in my database. It's very easy to navigate and search needed info within your data, edit it anytime, add personal fields. Really great program and has many useful features!

I try to go according to actor/director, since I tend to collect most DVDs along those lines. My TV show box sets are organized together according to show/season, and then random collections like music and pro wrestling are just kind of kept in the same general area.

i take them all out and organize them in a large cd case holder, so i can take them places and share :) and the covers are alphabetical order on a bookshelf

Back