• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Power Up "relight a shot" demo

Hi all,
I've "perfected" (almost) my technique needed to relight many of my shots for my short Power Up.

Here's a demo ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUsPtbw0KiM

Uese AE CS5.5

roto brush the actor to create an matte
use that as a alpha matte for a white solid with mask to create the ramp for fall off
precompe
use the precomp as a LUMA matte for an adjustment layer
adjust

Thanks dudes,
Lighting the shot right would have been MUCH easier, geeze its at least 20mins roto (thanks goodness for rotobrush or it would be even worse!) and I have about 10 more shots just like it.. oh joy...

Colorista II does something very similar, but faster. Let me think about where the heck I saw a cool tutorial on it.

@camvader,
Please post the tut here.. but, the problem with this particular footage is that the background\foreground\skintone are all very RED, so some of the other techniques where I work with boosting skin tones just kept falling short..

I should have lit the near side face just a bit brighter then the background, then I could have pushed pulled it out, but as is, Im sorta stuck working like this if i want to POP the actor of the screen. It is looking a bit "stylized" which for a short, might not be a bad thing..

@camvader,
Please post the tut here.. but, the problem with this particular footage is that the background\foreground\skintone are all very RED, so some of the other techniques where I work with boosting skin tones just kept falling short..

I should have lit the near side face just a bit brighter then the background, then I could have pushed pulled it out, but as is, Im sorta stuck working like this if i want to POP the actor of the screen. It is looking a bit "stylized" which for a short, might not be a bad thing..

Here's one link that addresses it. Scrub forward toward the end and he's relighting the scene. There is another one that I'm still looking for (I wish I bookmarked it).

You need a program called assimilate scratch. For years I saw that name and thought it was a DJ program, but it turns out that it does advanced colorist work, including shape tracking for relighting procedures.

If you watch through some of the tutorials on their site, you can see how this sort of thing can be done almost in real time.

Looking good Wheat!

Back