Editor's Finger

Hi. This is a message for all you editors. Ive been editing video professionally for about 4 years now, and over the past year have developed what i like to call 'Editor's Finger'. The condition effects the index finger on my right hand due to all the clicking and moving of the mouse. Basically, I have a very bad ache in the knuckle area and also at the lower joint of the finger. This can sometimes last for 2/3 days and then goes for a few days. I know other editors but non seem to have this problem. It would be great to hear from anyone else who has problems like this.
Be careful out there...the office is a dangerous place!
Dave

Never heard of it.

I've never heard of this condition, even from lab rats who do nothing but enter data in computers. Is it possible that this is an arthiritic condition that has nothing to do with the mouse?

Poke

Hi, I do agree that prolonged editing can affect the mind and body. Maybe each of us has there own way of dealing with it. I find my right wrist aches sometimes.. its better now i have one of those soft jelly things to rest my hand on while editing.

I also find the my neck hurts sometimes from being hunched over a computer... and if i edit for 24 hours or more.. i find my eyes hurt.

I feel that each of has our own 'editors finger' and i think we should petition to get it recognised as a serious medical condition over time,
like stress disorder or pink eye

You've got a variation of carpal tunnel syndrome.
1) get a trackball and go between the mouse and trackball
2) if you're on Avid or FCP4, set the user keys up to take the load off the
mouse (i.e. replace as many mouse clicks as you can with keystrokes.
Your speed will rise as well)
3) use a wrist support and a mouse pad always
4) use an exercise ball (you know, the yoga/dance blowup balls around 3ft
in diameter) as a chair for around 10-15 minutes each day
5) use an English bench if you can. This means raising the editing table on
blocks until it's at elbow height (when you're standing up) and going with bar stools so you're either on the stool or standing at the keyboard.
All the above form my (union) chiropractor.
HTH
Cheers
Chris

Back