Hello All!

Hello friends,

Let me first start by introducing myself my name is Bryan, I live 45 mins north of Toronto, Ontario and I have had 23 years on this planet. Let me give a little background as to why I am here and this will lead to a question that I will ask to all. About 2 years ago I abruptly broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years, I was out on my own and drowing in the melting pot of the 9 - 5 hard labour world. I wasn't in this position becasue I doubt my intellegence or because i am lazy, I was there simply because I had made a decision when I was 19 to leave home and move out on my own. My position was my own fault but definatly provided very valueble life experiance. After I had broken up with my girlfriend my parents told me that they would help me go back to school. So I moved back in with my parents and started going back to school. I had decided to go for Computer Science partially because thats what I wanted to do out of highschool and I was good at it in highschool. So I am currently enrolled in Sheridan College for Computer Science and I am in my second year. In my first year I got a B average. All sounds good right?? Things seem to be looking up! However I am now more then halfway through the 1st semester of my second term and I can't help but feel this is just wrong I am not where I should be I don't even like this anymore. I have no drive and no passion at all. It was a decision I made based on what I used to like all the while I ignored the things I currently enjoy. Yeah maybe I MIGHT have a DECENT paying job after I get out of here, without passion and drive I'll simply be placing myself into a silightly better position then I was a few years back only I would have wasted time and money. I have sat back and called my self crazy, however I can't get away from this nagging sensation. And as of the past year or so all I can think about is writing ideas and being creative. I spend my time reading all I can about making films and I have a computer background so most of the software comes pretty naturally. A number of things around me also lead me to belive that this is what I should be doing. I have friends around me that would make for a great small production company. Friends associated with music, Special Effects and editing. I am currently giving serious thought to dropping out of computer science and going to film school.. Am I going crazy? If I don't do this will I regret it for the rest of my life? And I am not dillusional and think that I am going to be a large success or anything like that. I simply love films and only came into that realization recently. This realization came partially because i took a film Analyisis course as an elective and I loved every second of it. The teacher had even asked if I had wrote reviews prior to this class. Now obviously this doesn't give me any pretext to realisticly think I could be a director or writer (The two things I would focus on) but what does.....doesn't just the intense thought alone give pretext. I am in a situation now where the only person I have to answer to in my life is me, I have no other commitments be it finacial or otherwise. Basicly the question is should I chase my dreams?

Welcome Bryan!

Those are life questions only you can answer. You have a love of filmmaking and joining forums like this is a good way to gather information about this vocation. Knowledge is never a waste of time!

If you don't chase your dreams you already know the out come, your living it now. If you chase your dreams who knows what will happen? From your post ,I think you already answered your question. :director: Chase your dreams! I think you'll find that almost everyone on this forum is chasing there dreams so you won't be alone.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Christopher forgot to use the orange nod :yes: (his favorite smiley ;) )

:welcome:

:welcome:

Bryan, you're not alone.. I too am in school persuing Computer Science, and hating every minute of it.. but it will make it easier to get that good paying (not just 'getting by') job to support me the dreams I chase flourish into something a bit more material, and allow me to (hopefully) do the film thing full time. ;)

Good luck to you, and enjoy your stay here at indietalk

Wow thanks for the warm welcome all, I look forward to posting here regularly and sharing in the dreams of all of you :). Chris I think you are right I have answered my own question. Telling it to others really helps me figure it out myself... I will go with the flow and let my heart guide me...lol as lame as that sounds its the truth! Thanks for the input given and input to come if any!

Peace
Bryan

good luck with whatever you decide. So your north of Toronto...Barrie? lol I love it when people do that. I know someone in Vancouver..do you know them. :no:

Kimmy

Hey welcome! :cool: I would say chase your dreams most definitely, that's what makes life exciting and fun!!!

Just do it and enjoy the ride.

If you think that you have that creative urge, indulge my friend, indulge. I am 27 and have spent nine years suppressing those creative juices 'cause I was supposed to get that real job.

GRRRR AARGGHHH!!!

I didn't chase those dreams then and now I am strapped with bills and debt. Not that I am going to let them stop me, mind you, its just another obstacle on my path to greatness.

So go create damn it!

To quote Mr. Tolkien (and thus his character Gildor):

"... advice is a dangerous gift even from the wise to the wise and all courses may run ill. But what would you? You have not told me all concerning yourself; and how then shall I choose better than you? But if you demand advice, I will for friendships sake give it."

I think the most important thing to do is have a job that you ENJOY doing. It doesn't matter how much prestige the world gives the topic; if it inspires you then go for it. That said I think it is very important to consider where you are right now. You have, after all, spent a fair amount of money towards a degree. I would personally be inclined to finish the degree to keep my options open. I don't see a real need for paid film school. Go out and get experience while keeping your options open. The average pay for someone with a degree is numerous times higher than someone with a high school diploma. Yes computer science may not be the perfect fit for you but you can always go on to get a masters degree in most anything (especially with that background). I'd say finish school and work at advancing your film skills and resume. If you are good enough you will find paying gigs. If not you have a backup that will give you many more options. Also keep in mind that unless you are a famous director you will almost certainly NOT have a steady source of income from directing. Do what you like to do but also acknowledge reality. I wouldn't personally gamble my future and spent money on a chance as low as this. Just my opinion though.

I say go for it. I have been ONLY doing work that I enjoy since '97 when I decided to quit my good paying / miserable job and start a video production / computer / web design company. It has been rough at times (financially) but it is getting to the point now where I (hopefully) will be able to apply the years of self-training into something really great.

Go for it, man...and don't look back. If it's something that you're passionate about, you will make it work.

I agree with most people in here, just remember if you don't do anything five ten however many years it takes that you may come to a relization that your not going to make it. You can always go back to school, and get a 9-5 job there not that hard to get. Go for the dream.

Back