Canon Rebel T2i/550D Quality Issues?

Hello!

This past Christmas I got my first DSLR -- a Canon Rebel T2i. I wanted it because I noticed that the video shot with it was absolutely stunning!

The only problem is, I have not been able to get the quality of the video up to par with something along the lines of this -- http://www.vimeo.com/18929564

So, what could I be doing wrong? What settings should I be using? Any tutorials or links that you could post to help lead me into the right direction?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
The link you posted takes us to an error page.

It would be nice to compare something you shot with what you want to mimic. Without seeing either one, I should remind you that you need lenses and lighting. Don't expect the camera to do the work for you.

The link you posted takes us to an error page.

It would be nice to compare something you shot with what you want to mimic. Without seeing either one, I should remind you that you need lenses and lighting. Don't expect the camera to do the work for you.

I fixed the link above -- http://www.vimeo.com/18929564

I will try to get a video uploaded of what I want to achieve... And, considering this was shot with the same lens as I have, I don't know why it would be so different.

Alexander, just for a starting place, do you have a thorough understanding of ISO, shutter speed in relation to frame rate, and f/stop? Is everything that is automatic disabled?

The reason I ask about the automatic settings is in order to determine if they work adaquately for exactly what you are trying to shoot, you should be able to the same function manually to compare results. I don't know what your base knowledge is with photography, so forgive me if this is overly simplistic.

Alexander, just for a starting place, do you have a thorough understanding of ISO, shutter speed in relation to frame rate, and f/stop? Is everything that is automatic disabled?

The reason I ask about the automatic settings is in order to determine if they work adaquately for exactly what you are trying to shoot, you should be able to the same function manually to compare results. I don't know what your base knowledge is with photography, so forgive me if this is overly simplistic.

I have a fairly basic understanding... Probably not quite up-to-par with where it should be... I usually just film in all auto. >.<

Anyway, here is a clip that I just filmed with all auto...
http://vimeo.com/19341312

Maybe I am just being hyper-sensitive to any imperfections... :-\

I have a fairly basic understanding... Probably not quite up-to-par with where it should be... I usually just film in all auto. >.<

Anyway, here is a clip that I just filmed with all auto...
http://vimeo.com/19341312

Maybe I am just being hyper-sensitive to any imperfections... :-\

It's not easy to follow focus with a moving camera, either for the autofocus or you. You'd probably be happier using a tripod and doing some test shots. I would guess that the more you shoot, the better your results will be.

Leaving everything in auto will get u into trouble with focussing and exposure. For starters, learn how to use the manual mode to have more control.

And btw, put a cap on that lens to protect it :)

It's not easy to follow focus with a moving camera, either for the autofocus or you. You'd probably be happier using a tripod and doing some test shots. I would guess that the more you shoot, the better your results will be.

Mkay, thanks for the advice! :)

Leaving everything in auto will get u into trouble with focussing and exposure. For starters, learn how to use the manual mode to have more control.

And btw, put a cap on that lens to protect it :)
Okay!

And I have been trying to get to a local camera store for one -- not being able to drive definately has it's restrictions.

I didn't see anything remarkable about that first link you posted. Really shallow depth of field, and interesting framing. That's all I saw. You can get that by practicing your shot composition and by using really shallow depth of field.

I didn't see anything remarkable about that first link you posted. Really shallow depth of field, and interesting framing. That's all I saw. You can get that by practicing your shot composition and by using really shallow depth of field.

Not to criticize or anything, but I never said that the video was remarkable. What I said was that that quality seemed to be much higher than that of the video that comes out of my T2i, but of course, that may just have to do with the fact that I am still learning how to use it fully.

Any advice that you have would be wonderful! :)

Not to criticize or anything, but I never said that the video was remarkable. What I said was that that quality seemed to be much higher than that of the video that comes out of my T2i, but of course, that may just have to do with the fact that I am still learning how to use it fully.

Any advice that you have would be wonderful! :)

Yeah, but what I'm telling you is that I don't see any difference in quality between the video you aspire to, and the video you made. They both look nice. The only difference I see is that the video you want to look like has more interesting shot composition, and a really shallow depth of field. So, like I said, work on your shot composition, and get a lens that will allow really shallow depth of field.

Yeah, but what I'm telling you is that I don't see any difference in quality between the video you aspire to, and the video you made. They both look nice. The only difference I see is that the video you want to look like has more interesting shot composition, and a really shallow depth of field. So, like I said, work on your shot composition, and get a lens that will allow really shallow depth of field.

Oh, I'm sorry, I was just confused. >.<

And that video wasn't really anything but to show what my quality is... It wasn't really meant to be anything special... Which you might understand -- just trying to be as clear as possible!

And that video wasn't really anything but to show what my quality is... It wasn't really meant to be anything special... Which you might understand -- just trying to be as clear as possible!

As far as I can tell, there aren't really any differences in the image quality between your clip and the first one you posted. I think there are two things that make the first video seem better - the operating and the subject matter.

If you're not shooting video in manual mode on the 550D, then you're wasting your money - having that control will make you think about your shots more and give them the look that you want.

Next, find something a bit more exciting to shoot! I realise that wasn't the point of your clip, but when shooting extreme close-ups like that, objects with interesting textures and lighting will result in much more aesthetically pleasing material.

Back