• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 8mm-ish Test

Here's a "low-fi" test in which I was going for an 8mm film look.

http://www.vimeo.com/16868563

It's based off an older clip - "Low-Fi Test" on my Vimeo page - but this one was converted to 18fps and cropped closer to a square (4:3) picture.

It is made up of mostly vacation footage (there's one fully-CG clip in there) and thus was originally captured without intentions of converting it into an "old film" test. (More details on the video page.) I'm planning to shoot some stuff on the 7D specifically to be converted to emulate old film, and for that I'll use a lower shutter speed and outfit the camera with a plastic Diana lens.

Feedback is welcome (and appreciated)!

EDIT: The sound wasn't meant to emulate "film audio", necessarily. It's really just some AM radio noise and other things. (Info on page.)

Good job. You def achieved the look you were going for.

Perhaps two or three more lenses next time for a bit of variety in perspective distortion?

Hi, Ernest! Thanks for the tip!

I'll definitely be using a bit of variety on some future "old film" work. Nice thing those Diana lenses are quite affordable, and just right for this kind of stuff. :)

Thank you! :)

That was from the aquarium in Chattanooga, TN. Those creatures can put you to sleep just watchin 'em.

But of course sleepiness was enhanced by the ethereal sounds coming from the speakers near the display.

(( Sound is 50%, after all. ;) ))

Most definitely. I also discovered "Mr.Bobby". It was real sweet, Frank. He seems like quite the guy.

I'm -If things go well within the next 12 months- set to be staying in Nashville for a while, pending on what we've got on with PTP, but i'll let you know. We should work together.

Also, there's a whisper surfaced a while back about an IT project up in Boston, or Chicago...

Folks, are we going to discuss the matter?

This could happen.

Hey, thanks for checking out "Mr. Bobby"! He's a genuinely all-around wonderful guy.

It was a very spur-of-the-moment deal, shot and edited within two days. Several things I would've done differently BUT then again, I might not have ever gotten it done. :)

I'm down in south Mississippi but have a cousin in Nashville. We make a trip up there every now and then.
Do keep in touch; you never know what might work out!

Looks absolute lovely, top work. There were one or two shots where it didn't quite look like 8mm (perhaps just too detailed?) but for the most part I wouldn't have known any better. I've been meaning to try something similar with my 550D and Diana F+ lenses, so I may pester you for some tips in the near future :)

Thanks, chilipie!

chilipie said:
There were one or two shots where it didn't quite look like 8mm (perhaps just too detailed?)

Yeah, that lens was a bit "too" sharp for this type of thing (though, I didn't plan on this being the end-product). The Diana lenses, being plastic, give a really soft look. I think the next ones I do will look much closer.

chilipie said:
I've been meaning to try something similar with my 550D and Diana F+ lenses, so I may pester you for some tips in the near future

I'd be happy to help any way I can!

Also, there's a whisper surfaced a while back about an IT project up in Boston, or Chicago...

Is it too soon to start a thread (so as not to derail a bunch of others)? Let's talk about a time frame and then based on the season, let's get some script brainstorming going. Let us not let this fall to the wayside as is so easily the case with forum 'collaborations'. :P

I like these sort of tests. Always fun to simply watch moving images for the heck of it -- although I am aware this experiment was purposeful and not just "point and shoot". Reminds me how fond I am of avant garde film and video art. Thanks for sharing. : )

Back