View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I would like to know if it the Countryman or OST will sound significantly better in the H1 than, say, the $20ish one I'm currently using with the H1.
I'll need to have a frame of reference to have a chance to answer that. How does that microphone sound compared to a piece of equipment I'm familiar with I once picked up a few $1 lavs from ebay. They sound like crap. How do they sound compared to yours?

Quote:
will a "broadcast quality brand" 3.5 lav sound as good as a "broadcast quality brand" XLR lav
These are simply connections. Generally speaking, since the length of the cables is negligible, they don't usually affect the quality.

Quote:
Also, if it's worth it to just wait & get a Sound Devices MixPre & condenser XLR lavaliere for use with the MixPre's balanced XLR input. Obviously, this would be sound better & the MixPre can do a lot more than the H1, so they really can't be compared at all. But it would take me a lot longer to save up for the MixPre. The H1 seems to be a stop-gap in-between phase until I get the MixPre.
It sounds like you're trying to determine what's a good solution for you. Impossible to tell without context.

In some circumstances, I'd say you'd be going higher than needed (in some cases you'll be able to get away with a $50 Rode Lav and your phone), in other circumstances I'd say you're nuts going for such a cheap solution such as the SD MixPre3 that you'll outgrow in a matter of months.

You might get better answers if you tell us what you're trying to achieve and what you already have.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote