View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I'd say blocking of the actors is separate to position of camera and shot selection. Blocking of actors is definitely the domain of the Director (with perhaps a little input from the Cinematographer if absolutely necessary as you outlined in your next post).
We just have different interpretations, but we're for the most part on the same page. I see all movement in front of the camera as part of blocking. Actors, camera, extras, foreground, background etc.

Regardless of the skill of the director, the more talented crew (and even cast), the more benefits you receive from being more collaborative, or at least that's been my experience.

Quote:
I feel like it's easier to screw up camera positioning than it is to screw up during editing
It's easier to screw up both. It takes more effort and skill to get both right. Get lazy on either end and screwups can easily happen.

Quote:
I work as an editor at the moment but have become interested recently in learning more about the process of planning out shots and angles
Don't fret about it too much. I came from an editing background too.

Quote:
I feel confident in my editing skills but was wondering if being somewhat weak when it comes to shot selection and camera positioning disqualifies you from taking on a more directorial role
Personally, I'm still consider myself relatively weak in that department too. I often rely heavily upon my DOP for input.

Moving from editing to directing requires a bit of a different mind set. You've used to being given a puzzle and you put it together. If you're an experienced editor, you have an advantage. You understand which pieces fit together, what works better and what you will never use. You'll understand what little bits will save your ass, what shots make a scene stand out and what you'll need from a performance, so you'll ensure you have those when it comes post production time. You'll be in charge of making the puzzle. What will also help you is your sense of timing. You'll be able to pull from your experience and understand what timing you'll need to make a scene work. You'll be in a position to do it on set, instead of needing to create it completely in post. Being an editor, you'll also know when you have enough coverage for the edit so you can move on with confidence.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote