View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
Velusion
Basic Member

What questions did you ask? 'cause I think I missed them.

Anyway, I've got a few minutes to spare.

Let's start

Introduction

Stereoscopy is more than just taking 3D pictures. To only consider capturing the images that will produce the stereogram will leave you only be looking at half of the equation. The other half has to do with presentation, how will your 3D pictures be seen and under what conditions? There is a lot of talk about not putting too much depth into your pictures or you may cause eye strain but how do you do that? How can you predict how much 3D effect is too much? I have read some general answers to that question that are very unsatisfying but nothing that really tells you anything at all. In this book, we will answer that question. I won’t say there are rules to the question of how much is too much but there are ideas and things to consider. If you want to call these things rules then by all means do but also understand that the rules can and should be broken under certain circumstances.
A wonderful truth about stereoscopy is that it does not require precision. Our two eyes and brain working together are very adaptable and can see past small errors in a 3D image as though they were not there. With this in mind you will see that stereograms are not the product of precise measurements and strict rules. Instead they are a product of basic understanding and estimates. You don’t need to be a mathematician or a physicist to create good 3D images.. Once you have an understanding of Stereoscopy and how your eyes see, all you really need to be is a photographer. Shooting a 3D image is just as easy as shooting a regular planar 2D picture.

We will spend a lot of time talking about 3D images or Stereograms but we will also be talking about 3D movies or videos. Now here is a surprise for you; it doesn’t matter if we talk about images or movies, the theory and application is pretty much the same. What you learn here can be used to make movies or still pictures. That’s up to you. Some of the techniques are specific to movies only because movies are animated pictures and everything can move, including the camera(s).
Velusion is offline   Reply With Quote