View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #23
Scoopicman
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velusion View Post
I don't have the insight to know where to put the music. I'm just wondering if there is a book or DVD or lecture that gives ideas to people, like me, who can't "see" the music.
Listening to scores is probably the best way. I listen to scores the way most people listen to rock, pop, country, rap, etc. Before doing my own music, I used to put my favorite soundtrack bits into my own movies. It was a matter of liking a song and wanting to put it somewhere. Modern director/producers do this with their temp tracks. Everything else is more incidental. You'll also know, when you make something, where scenes feel weak. That's where you need music!

An exercise you can try is to pick any song you like and then cut a sequence to that. Not just one long quadcopter shot, but cut some bits into it. Make the cutting rhythmic. A 4/4 constant beat is one thing, but cutting to an orchestral piece that changes tempo and dynamics can be pretty interesting.

Sometimes I'll order a score (CD, MP3) before the movie comes out. When I see the movie, I have been introduced to character and overall themes, so watching it gives me a deeper feeling than I would have had not having heard the music, prior. This is certainly true of repeated viewings. Listening to the music at home brings me back to cool scenes in the movie.

I can't listen to every score. Some are not that interesting to me. I pick the ones that are and go with those. Usually, they are by a composer who's style I like. If I don't know, I go to Youtube, where someone has most likely uploaded it. If I like it, I get it for myself. I take the dog for a walk and listen on headphones. Heck, thanks to BazTheHat, I'm listening to TRANSFORMERS, while writing this.

Last edited by Scoopicman; 11-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Scoopicman is offline   Reply With Quote