Production Photos - Share Yours

This is for all productions, big and small. Please share your production photos for your most recent project or show your best shots on the subject matter.

picture.php

From the feature this past eight months or so... makes me miss shooting.

Most are from the last fight scene day. Wish we had more time to shoot stills, next time I'll do a lot more BTS footage and stills, though.... somehow.

_JLT3856.jpg

_JLT3937.jpg

_JLT3931.jpg

33kq002.jpg

nysn4g.jpg
-- the GH-2 I used to shoot pickups and small scenes on the feature.

Deathworld CGI production stills

Working on some CGI stuff for Deathworld, here are some production shots taken while developing the art style

6143496710_4347f4687e_b.jpg

6142945759_3d13d5b59e_b.jpg

6143496090_dd60c75680_b.jpg

6143495912_af43816ac7_b.jpg

6142945701_dddf95d80e_b.jpg

These show kind of a behind the scenes look at the production process, only a small percentage of the total footage from the scenes will ever make the cut, and some will be doctored or hybrided with camera footage. This last one with the title will probably be thrown out entirely. All these are framegrabs from existing animations.

Note to self:

If it's a major production, hire a freaking photographer to take some stills.

When I was producing my first ultra-low budget feature, I didn't give a single thought to BTS photos. I was too worried about making a damn movie, BTS stuff doesn't matter!

Except, I learned that those kind of photos actually are useful in promotion, and more importantly (in my opinion), this is a time that you'll want to remember. So, if you can't afford a pro, just tell a friend to show up, stay out of the way, and take as many pics as possible.

Thanks for sharing the pics, everybody. :)

This is me on my first day on set. I didn't go to filmschool or have any background shooting shorts. I just jumped straight into shooting my first feature. On the first day, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to a lesbian sequence. Anyway this is me desperately trying to pretend I know what I'm doing:

053.jpg

This is from my third feature. Oddly while production values have gone up massively over the 3 films the gear we work with has gotten progressively more guerilla. By this time I'm working with one crew, one PA and all MOS (the best way to shoot low buget imo):

IMG_0485-Copy.jpg

Close to the last day of shooting. The scene was wrritten as a beautiful, clear moonlit night in summer. Instead an impenetrable fog rolled in, the heavens opened and we wound up crawling through mud and doing our best to keep the red heads dry and not exploding while hundreds of metres of exstension cabling sunk into the mud. The prelude with me staring to feel nervous:

IMG_4035.jpg

and then mid-deluge:

IMG_4153.jpg

Still managed to shoot 10 minutes of finished film that rainy night and it came out pretty good too.

Oh man, I had forgotten what summer looked like. Damn you south dakota!

Note to self:

If it's a major production, hire a freaking photographer to take some stills.

When I was producing my first ultra-low budget feature, I didn't give a single thought to BTS photos. I was too worried about making a damn movie, BTS stuff doesn't matter!

Except, I learned that those kind of photos actually are useful in promotion, and more importantly (in my opinion), this is a time that you'll want to remember. So, if you can't afford a pro, just tell a friend to show up, stay out of the way, and take as many pics as possible.

Thanks for sharing the pics, everybody. :)

Too true! I definitely regret having basically zero BTS photos from my shorts.

Back