• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Night is Day: Dusk"

"Night is Day: Dusk" is the first short film from Silly Wee Films.

Shot in a week on a £1,300 budget, using crew from college and experienced crew members in the industry, and an independent cast made up of newcomers from Scotland, "Night is Day" takes focus in one day in the life of Jason Mackenzie, a superhero in Glasgow. Jason is used to dealing with low-lifes, muggers, saving people from getting run over by cars, and generally used to saving the day, but then he comes up against the evil gangster, McDade, who has recently pushed his girlfriend, Karis, into leaving him. Scared that Karis will go to the police, or one of his enemies, McDade dispatches his killer bodyguard, Aspirin to kill Karis.

It's up to Jason to step in and save the day as he pits his strength and cunning against McDade and Aspirin.

Help is at hand though as DCI Sloan and DI Mullan are on the case as they have been chasing McDade for a very long time but have yet been unable to pin down any hard evidence to put McDade away in prison.

Jason isn't alone as he has one true friend, Sophie, a young student waitress whose life he once saved. Jason goes to Sophie's to get patched up after fights, and even though there is love between them, it can never be for when Jason touches people, his body is charged with dangerous electricity that is passed on to any person that he touches.

"Night is Day: Dusk" will be premiered in Glasgow in October 2005 and out on DVD by November all going well.

It's 20 minutes long and features original music by Steve Dunster, and a song by Fiona Crawford of Glasgow Indie band "Red Letter". Special effects by Archie Allison and Sound effects by Mark Riley.

To download a 6 minute preview of the film please right click - http://www.sillyweefilms.co.uk/nidwebpreview.wmv - and choose "Save As"

Cheers

- Fraser
www.sillyweefilms.co.uk

I liked it. Funny how pretty much anyone with a scottish or british accent can sound like a pretty good criminal.

Was the clip just a complilation of shots? or the first 7 minutes? If it was the first seven minutes, you would be better off without all the black fadouts, if it was a compilation of shots, then your tranisions could use a little work. Try different swipes.

The sound in the first scene changed slightly from the Wide shot to the CU of the girl, but nothing horrible, some background noise might be useful there, easy enough to add; plus, it goes well with the setting.

I liked the scene where the tall guy had a fellow on the ground and was talking on the phone. Put a slug in his head and added a kick to the ribs out of spite. It was a natural badass action.

Instead of doing the first seven minutes, I would recomend you try your hand at a trailer. With good editing and a few well placed scenes it can have more of an impact. Something I have noticed about good trailers, is the use of different transisions and swipes, with a sound effect with it.

You should treat a trailer like you would a script, don't go with the fist draft. Remake it a number of times and get someone elses opinion on the finished product.

Cheers for the tips :)

It's only a compilation of scenes because the special effects weren't completed at the time :)

I've got a trailer on the site - www.nightisday.co.uk - we've got a better trailer, but it's not online just yet.

I just showed the completed (minus music) cut to the tall guy (who kicks the guy in the ribs) and he loved it :)

Cheers

- Fraser
www.sillyweefilms.co.uk

I liked it so far. Hard to tell what's going on exactly, but I'll be watching for a completed cut. Congratulations on your successful project.

Back