IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum

IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum (http://www.indietalk.com/forum.php)
-   Indie (http://www.indietalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What kind/type of film would be your dream to work on? (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=64313)

AMDQuantum 12-29-2017 07:41 PM

What kind/type of film would be your dream to work on?

The Independent film scene is pretty big where I'm at in Denver & when I 1st started all I wanted to do was Action Sci-Fi and no one was making those types of films. All everyone wanted to do is horror so I ended up doing Horror to get my feet in the door so to speak.

Now I'm in a position where I can make my own films my way and my next film will be the film I've always wanted to do Action Sci-Fi (It helps that I have VFX background). So that got me thinking, has anyone here ever got to work on the type of film/genre they dreamt of working on? If so what was it? If not what would it be?

indietalk 12-29-2017 07:44 PM

"Write within your means" holds all artists back. That's the first thing you're told as a filmmaker and many have to adapt or even change genre. So if you have the ability to write outside your means, but find a way to pull it off, well kudos!

AMDQuantum 12-29-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indietalk (Post 432393)
"Write within your means" holds all artists back. That's the first thing you're told as a filmmaker and many have to adapt or even change genre. So if you have the ability to write outside your means, but find a way to pull it off, well kudos!

In my case, that's actually a good point. Although I've seen low budget Sci-Fi indie films that look incredible. Writing smart is part of it but if there is a will there is a way.

indietalk 12-29-2017 07:54 PM

Indeed. Horror, comedy, and drama I would say are the safer genres for low budget filmmakers. I don't have a preferred genre, but I'd hope that when I do, there is the budget to pull it off. :D

Feutus Lapdance 12-30-2017 03:11 AM

Surreal movies..... would love to work with Alejandro Jodorowsky, Quentin Dupieux or Roy Andersson.

buscando 12-30-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Now I'm in a position where I can make my own films my way and my next film will be the film I've always wanted to do Action Sci-Fi
But your last feature was Action Sci-Fi too, wasn't it?
Ya it seems everyone chases the most recent successes. Horrors showed you can make good profit with a low budget so people will keep making them until the next thing that makes profit.

Quality 12-30-2017 02:42 PM

Marvel and DC. :)

Alcove Audio 12-30-2017 04:39 PM

Psychological Horror.

It provides an opportunity as an audio post guy to play with sonic subtleties.

AMDQuantum 12-30-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buscando (Post 432428)
But your last feature was Action Sci-Fi too, wasn't it?
Ya it seems everyone chases the most recent successes. Horrors showed you can make good profit with a low budget so people will keep making them until the next thing that makes profit.

Yes, it was! :) It was more Sci-Fi, Suspense, Drama & Mystery. The sequel to that film I'm currently working on will have gun fights and fist fights so It'll be heavier on the action & will show more Sci-Fi (Think The Fifth Element Mixed with Sin City with that 50's style).

buscando 12-30-2017 06:14 PM

Cool, have you seen a lot of those old noir's?

AMDQuantum 12-30-2017 06:19 PM

I have! Mostly on TCM and of course the Twilight Zone

buscando 12-30-2017 07:02 PM

Serling was such an amazing writer.
I'm on TCM a lot.
Have you seen 'Night of the Hunter' & 'Night and the City'?
They weren't on TCM but Hunter's really good, & City has great shots.

indietalk 12-30-2017 07:14 PM

My choice would be film noir. The sinisterism, mood, lighting, and pacing. But most likely in color, perhaps technically neo-noir; a la Blood Simple.

indietalk 12-30-2017 07:26 PM

Oh in fact you guys were discussing noir. :)

Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC 12-31-2017 03:12 PM

Still love sci-fi and action horror.