IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum

IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum (http://www.indietalk.com/forum.php)
-   Pre-Production (http://www.indietalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Should I get a producer now before my project is funded? (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=64309)

kid_filmmaker 12-29-2017 10:30 AM

Should I get a producer now before my project is funded?

Should I worry about getting a film producer now or should I wait until after I get my project funded via crowdfunding?

El Director 12-29-2017 11:08 AM

What's your role? If you're setting up all this, you are the producer. If you're looking to bring in another producer, I'd do it it now as they can and should help with the fundraising.

directorik 12-29-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid_filmmaker (Post 432369)
Should I worry about getting a film producer now or should I wait until after I get my project funded via crowdfunding?

Don't wait. Worry about getting a producer right away.

kid_filmmaker 12-29-2017 02:29 PM

Well to answer the first question, I plan to direct but....what if I can't get a producer because no one wants to come on board without the project being funded first?

directorik 12-29-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kid_filmmaker (Post 432376)
but....what if I can't get a producer because no one wants to come on board without the project being funded first?

Then you will do the producing job. That doesn't mean you
shouldn't worry about finding a producer now. I see no advantage
to you to wait until after you get get project funded via crowdfunding.

WalterB 12-29-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by directorik (Post 432378)
Then you will do the producing job. That doesn't mean you
shouldn't worry about finding a producer now. I see no advantage
to you to wait until after you get get project funded via crowdfunding.

I would even go further:
crowdfunding with a producer on board (and some cast and crew) will expand your reach to a potentially bigger crowd. Plus it might help to give backer the feeling you'll be able to pull it off.

kid_filmmaker 12-29-2017 04:05 PM

Great ok thank you all for your answers.

Sweetie 12-29-2017 05:24 PM

You again. It's been a while. Welcome back. How did your first film go? Did you hit your budget target? Was it 5 million?

Quote:

what if I can't get a producer because no one wants to come on board without the project being funded first?
It won't matter. Pitching well is a skill that most directors need to learn. In my opinion, if you cannot successfully pitch a producer to join your team (who will get paid), you're not going to possess the skills to pitch your film to gain the finances you require.

kid_filmmaker 12-29-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetie (Post 432385)
You again. It's been a while. Welcome back. How did your first film go? Did you hit your budget target? Was it 5 million?

It won't matter. Pitching well is a skill that most directors need to learn. In my opinion, if you cannot successfully pitch a producer to join your team (who will get paid), you're not going to possess the skills to pitch your film to gain the finances you require.

Ha, funny, five million, no actually I think it was eighty million and yeah I hit it alright. In fact right now, I'm sitting with Steven Spielberg and we're discussing what my next film should be. Life's just a dream, thanks for asking.

Sweetie 12-30-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

right now, I'm sitting with Steven Spielberg
Great news!

He's awesome. Say hi to Steve from me.

rwestkoproductions 01-22-2018 05:43 AM

getting a producer

What I did, was I went to slated and basically messaged every producer who was open to message. Finally found one and then added an Exec producer and she got me a director. Takes patience but no one can do it all themselves unless you want to so a small low budget deal. Mine is going to be a tv show pilot.

Krios 01-22-2018 02:50 PM

So where does one find a kicka$$ producer for a seedling of a project?