IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum

IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum (http://www.indietalk.com/forum.php)
-   Pre-Production (http://www.indietalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Bags to Carry Gear (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37564)

garylloyd 01-27-2012 06:11 AM

Bags to Carry Gear

I was looking at this:

http://bigduffles.com/product/42_whe...ther_load.html

Powerkicker 02-01-2012 01:30 PM

I.am a fan of the Pelican hard cases with pluckable foam for delicate gear. I have one for my camera but am a super newb to.filming. I have used them for years for storing and hauling my gemology microscope and instruments as a profession...and none of that stuff is cheap!

brianluce 02-01-2012 02:32 PM

As I understand it you're assembling a production kit. Here's the best thing to do: Once you get most of the junk, take it to your local camera store and see how well it all fits in various bags. It's hard to tell from a website if the size is right. It's like trying to buy clothes online -- hard to guess the size. You can also get amazing deals in second hand stores. Generally gear bags are a big rip off.

PaulGriffith 02-01-2012 02:34 PM

Portabrace makes the best soft-cases in my opinion (and many other's :)). Years ago had a larger, expensive camera take a tumble down a flight of stairs in a zipped-open portabrace bag and it came out without a scuff on it.

That said, pelican makes a killer hard case. What are you putting in it though? We use a gamut of Portabrace and similar gear-specific soft cases, pelican hard cases, Rubbermaid storage bins and regular duffel bags. The cameras are in the nicer stuff, the stingers in a duffel bag.

brianluce 02-01-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGriffith (Post 247898)
Portabrace makes the best soft-cases in my opinion (and many other's :)). Years ago had a larger, expensive camera take a tumble down a flight of stairs in a zipped-open portabrace bag and it came out without a scuff on it.

That said, pelican makes a killer hard case. What are you putting in it though? We use a gamut of Portabrace and similar gear-specific soft cases, pelican hard cases, Rubbermaid storage bins and regular duffel bags. The cameras are in the nicer stuff, the stingers in a duffel bag.

I agree, Portabraces are super badass. Pelicans can withstand a Cruise missile strike but they're heavy and bulky as sin.

dlevanchuk 02-01-2012 02:44 PM

Man! You guys are going all out with the bags haha!

I just padded two old sport bags and a backpack :))
Definitely not the safest methods but I don't usually my crap around.

josh-ozirigpro 02-01-2012 05:28 PM

If you DO go for a hard case, get them with wheels and a pulley handle.

Carrying them is fine until you have 3-4 kits which must be moved around at the same time.

Real life saver for your back.

RJFort 02-01-2012 06:58 PM

Being the cheap ( sob ) that i am I hit some yard sales and checked craigslist and picked up some golf bags to carry light stands and other various items, just make sure that hey have a good strap.

chilipie 02-02-2012 02:05 AM

You can't go wrong with a Peli Case. I know a DoP who kept his gear in a warehouse which caught fire - anything sitting in the open was destroyed, but there wasn't a mark on any of the kit that had been locked up in Peli Cases.

josh-ozirigpro 02-02-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilipie (Post 248032)
You can't go wrong with a Peli Case. I know a DoP who kept his gear in a warehouse which caught fire - anything sitting in the open was destroyed, but there wasn't a mark on any of the kit that had been locked up in Peli Cases.

PELICAN CASE: NOT EVEN GOD CAN STOP US NOW!

chilipie 02-02-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh-ozirigpro (Post 248039)
PELICAN CASE: NOT EVEN GOD CAN STOP US NOW!

:lol:

I heard that Indiana Jones transported the Ark of the Covenant in a Peli Case…

brianluce 02-02-2012 05:39 AM

Honestly, I don't dispute the story, but Pelican cases, tough as they are, are not fireproof. But they are water proof, they seal with an o ring.