how to convert old 16mm to dvd?

Hello all nice forum, and thanks for haveing me.

Im not really a film maker, but have a large quanity of 16mm film from the second world war, that im haveing fun with coverting onto dvd, but what I would like to know, is how can I convert it to DVD, is there a machine I can purchase to do this for me, how do the experts do it, im sick of being charged 140.00 a roll for someone to project it onto a wall and video tape it, I can do that at home!

Any help at all would be most apreciated.

thanks so much

Dan Plomish

'sup, good Sauce. :cool:

If you're looking to do it yourself (and have some bucks to spend upfront), you could get a Sniper-16.

The ones with the reflective prism are marginally better than shooting at a wall... the pricier ones that has a camera shoot directly into the lens are better still.

(I've had Super-8 transferred with a Sniper-8... looks okay, but nowhere near as good as a telecine).

_______

If you want a professional transfer, you can have a place like Yale Film & Video telecine it. (There are many similar places).

It's expensive (at $175/hour... and that's transfer time, not run-time... roughly 3:1) and there may be additional film-prep charges before getting to run grubby film through the telecine... but you can end up with fantastic images to archive.

_______

What kind of WWII footage do you have, btw?

thanks

Thanks for your help, How much money do these machines roughly go for???

If its more then the price of converting about ten hours of footage, its not worth it to me, and by the sounds of it I think these machines will be.

The footage I have, that I've viewed so far, Is a Luftwaffe newsreel, showcaseing about 15 of there airplanes, some neat ones on there, a protoype plane in which only 8 were ever made, Some german parades and marching bands from 1935, A large film on hindenburg from 1936, most are all german films, but have been preserved quite well, my Grandfather brought them home as war souveniers when he returned back home to Canada after ww2.

There quite the site to see, as they have never been viewed since the 40's.

Any help from anyone on here, on the best way to store these would be great aswell, or any ideas on what to do with them after converted would be great.

Thanks

Oh PS, I also have a large film on 35mm of Germany annexing Austria, whis has sound on it, but I cant find anyone to convert that one, any ideas for that film?

Thanks again

I checked out the Sniper series there, but still dont really understand how the system works, sorry I Install Furnaces for a living this stuff is new to me. :huh:

Is there anytype of machine out there that will read the film and scan it into your computer?

Does this sniper do this? and how?

Sorry guys, and thanks so much for all your help

The expensive Snipers can send it directly to the computer, frame by frame.

Each frame is captured by a camcorder and passed through. Camcorders can vary wildly in quality, so a crappy one will capture crappy footage.

_______

10 hours at Yale... pricey.

Roughly 30'ish hours transfer time (@ 175) is over 5k... add to that cleaning (per reel) and the cost of tapes to record to... and even then you still just have it on tape and need to get it into your computer.

_______

How about contacting some WWII historian/archival societies and seeing if they'd want the films? You could donate the reels on condition of getting a DVD of it all, as they archive the footage? Win-win.

Just a thought. :)

Back