D7000 - UltraLowContrast preset

There must still be a lot of image/color information in the resulting H.264 file from this preset. The file was trans-coded to ProRes422 during import to FCPX. Seems FCPX Color Board is quite powerful.

It correct out pretty nice, SO underexposed that even in the low contrast a lot of the shadow detail is just gone. It would be interesting to see an example that wasn't under so bad.

The shot was exposed with a light meter. It's the curve in the preset that has the blacks lifted quite high and the highlights are softened. This preset is extreme to the low contrast side. Even so, there is still a lot of usable information left. Also it acts differently under different lighting conditions. Using this preset is more of an artistic choice.

I understand.
The point of a low contrast preset (generally) is to stop the blacks from crushing in camera (and the highlights from blowing out) so you can decide in post where those crush and blowout points are. If it's still crushed anyway (because it's underexposed) then the information isn't there and seems to (to me) to defeat the whole purpose of doing it. I don't doubt you used a meter, but the number of stops between the key on the talent and the area around the base of the trees in the background is more than the camera can resolve and that tree areas crushes to black, even with the low contrast preset.

Not a criticism, just some friendly advice on how a low contrast preset can really work for you.

Back