Distribution Sales Question

As some of you may recall I previously inquired about experiences with selling films to distribution companies. As I start submitting the film to festivals I also plan on sending out letters to distribution companies to see if anyone is interested in picking it up. My question is whether or not it's frowned upon to submit to several companies at once. Is this okay to do? The idea is to hopefully create some sort of bidding war.

Interesting book which is worth having i imagine.

You know i have recently made some money from the numerous download sales from my own short films.
So today i was thinking maybe i could offer my distribution services to other filmmakers working on a commission basis? I think i shall draft up a list of terms/conditions over this weekend...

Thunderclap said:
As some of you may recall I previously inquired about experiences with selling films to distribution companies. As I start submitting the film to festivals I also plan on sending out letters to distribution companies to see if anyone is interested in picking it up. My question is whether or not it's frowned upon to submit to several companies at once. Is this okay to do? The idea is to hopefully create some sort of bidding war.
Not only is it okay, it's essential.

Thunderclap said:

I would DEFINITELY recommend the book "Wake Up Screening"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...102-9840431-0280927?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

It's the most comprehensive look I have seen on what to do with your film once it's ready to screen. Gives alot of case studies.

Some of the news in it might be discouraging to the indie filmmaker, but it's essential to know what you are up against.

directorik said:
Not only is it okay, it's essential.

Couldn't agree more. If (and I'm sure it is) the film is good, other companies having in it their hands at the same time could lead to a bidding war (x is intersted at this amount etc).

But (and I know this goes withou saying) but MAKE SURE THE VERSION YOU SEND is timecoded or youwill end up seeing teh film on Ebay a few weeks later!!!

As for where - the Cannes Market guide (if you can get access to it) lists pretty much every company worth selling to.

mr-modern-life said:
But (and I know this goes withou saying) but MAKE SURE THE VERSION YOU SEND is timecoded or youwill end up seeing the film on Ebay a few weeks later!!!

Timecoded or some sort of watermark ala "Property of RPM FILMS. Do Not Distribute."?

I was thinking about taking it a step farther and "marking" each copy that goes out with a personal frame marking so if it does get out I know who leaked it. The problem with this is the time involved in doing it.

Last edited:
Thunderclap said:
I was thinking about taking it a step farther and "marking" each copy that goes out with a personal frame marking so if it does get out I know who leaked it. The problem with this is the time involved in doing it.
If you're sending out 5 to 10 copies, it would be worth it. If you're sending dozens out, just throw in a generic watermark of some sort... unless you're extremely paranoid. :D

Pirated movies don't usually originate from distributors. Distributors don't like a "watermark" - even timecode. And quite frankly, the movies that get pirated are movies that huge amounts of people want to see. No offense, but I don't think any of us fit that category.

I don't know of a single case of an independent moviemaker having their movie copied and distributed on eBay or anywhere else. A movie maker like us - no stars, no big name director. Send your movie to distributors without any running marks or timecode. A notice at the beginning if fine.

directorik said:
Pirated movies don't usually originate from distributors. Distributors don't like a "watermark" - even timecode.

I understand what you're saying but I'm a little surprised that they don't like a watermark on the bottom saying "Property of [insert name]. Do Not Distribute." I have no basis to dispute you but I am curious why they don't like it?

"Property of RPM FILMS. Do Not Distribute."
Of course if it does wind up on the Internet you will have no way of pin pointing which company was the culprit unless you burn who it's for over the picture. Of course you'd have to burn a DVD for each distributor.

Thunderclap said:
I understand what you're saying but I'm a little surprised that they don't like a watermark on the bottom saying "Property of [insert name]. Do Not Distribute." I have no basis to dispute you but I am curious why they don't like it?
There are two reasons. Text on the screen changes the viewing experience. And many distributors find is insulting.

Even though us movie makers don't think of distributors a human, they are only human. The hint that a screener in their possession will end up on eBay or get pirated shows a lack of trust. If I had talked to one or two who didn't like it, I would dismiss it as a personal choice - but I have spoken to many who feel that way. Film Festivals, too. All of the festival directors I've spoken to say the same thing.

I know for sure that's it's not a deal breaker, but I don't do it anymore. I mean really, how many pirated copies of my film are likely to be out there?

Each filmmaker should do what they think is best for their film. I think it would kinda cool of my film were popular enough to be selling on eBay or pirated all over the place.

Last edited:
directorik said:
Each filmmaker should do what they think is best for their film. I think it would kinda cool of my film were popular enough to be selling on eBay or pirated all over the place.

In some ways I'd be flattered too and, more so, think it would be some good advertisement. But I'd rather it leak from an individual and not a company I'm trying to sell it to.

But you make a valid point. Why would they leak it on-line? Distribution companies are the ones fighting piracy.

I would venture a guess the distribution companies only make money if they can sell your product, not leak it. It would be bad for their business to leak it...unless they can generate more sales somehow by doing so...which I don't see happening.

The issue is that there ARE a lot of very shonkey sales agents and distributors out there. I have delt with many - mainly I hate to say in the Asian teritories. It's not even the fact that it's the companies themselves as much as people in the company. If a pirate DVD gets out there, unwatermarked or timecoded, the sales for that teritorycould down down the toilet.

Some companies will even send a few copies out to get the price they pay you down. It does happen.

For me - I would NEVER send anything to ANYONE without a timecode or watermark.

A general notes from Cannes. The report back from Cannes is the DVD is in the toilet at the moment due to piracy (a lot of small companies did 1/3rd of what they expected - a very bad market) with many distributors not interested in product that has been out for a while as it can easily be available on knock off.

I have a few more questions. (This is the first time I've tried to sell a movie so please bear with me.)

How much do the distributors want to see? Along with the film on the DVD I'm planning on including the teaser and trailer and a one minute photo montage with music from the movie. Is this extra material unwarranted? Will it hurt the chances of having the film picked up?

Finally, will having a 5.1 sound mix increase the sale price? If yes should I include in my letter that we're planning a 5.1 mix in the coming weeks? (I can get it for about $350-$400 so it's not a huge cost.)

Any other advice?

Distributors: I would just send the DVD. Use the trailer on the web to intice but these guys get hours and hours of films a day to watch so keep what you send as simple as possible. It wont hurt but I doubt if it will help (in the letter state we have XYZ for the DVD )

5.1 Mix : Now I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% sure but I cant imagine it would hurt to have a 5.1 mix but if the film is good and the audio mix is good I don't think it will bump teh price too much. But I could be wrong

Back