legality thing

Hey folks,thanks for being here as always.Im loafing around enjoying my paid leave and loving it.I just started doing a little rough editing and I came across some footage of a major celebrity that did a USO trip to the Middle East and was nice enough to pay us a visit.My question is can I use this footage in the documentary?I read once if its in a public kind of situation you dont need a release form.Is this true?I certainly want to do it right.Next question is someone I have never met got footage over there,gave it to a friend who gave it to me.Am I not legaly allowed to use this footage?Thanks peoples!Bair

Yea go ahead and use it :D . Don't forget the big blur spot over the persons face though. And if the person is a singer make sure you mute it and dub over ocean sounds. Play it safe. I know Toby Keith came to our base a few days ago and they did not allow any video or sound recording of any kind. Photo's only. People still did and I actually have some of that footage but "legally" I am not allowed to let it leave my hands. Your fellow service member, Jack Ryan

you would have to get merpission from the owner and copyright holder of the footage you have, in order to use it. About the celeb, that's a tough call. If they were'nt in public, it may not be useable. That means anything recognizable of that person. If they're a singer, cant use their voice.

let me clarify on that

It was actualy an actor (Gary Sinise).Great ,GREAT,guy.Its the kind of thing where he walked amongst us,shook some hands and operated some equipment of ours.I just wanted to do a little "extra" on the DVD."Gary Sinise stops by" thing but I dont want to do it wrongly.He walks,shakes some hands,says hi and a thing or two.No performance of anykind.What do you think?

He'll have a PR firm/agent that you can contact...start with "My name is [rank and name]... I'm a service man stationed in...met Mr. Sinise, would like to use some footage of him I've got for a doc..."

Most PR firms will see this as a way to promote Mr. Sinise as a friend of the fighting man. Assuming your documentary is a positive one. Otherwise, it'll be hard to get permmission. I have no idea how to figure out who to contact.

I thought recon is to gather intelligence. Needless to say, I think IMDB pro lists the agents to the actors although there may be a free list somewhere on the net.

You might want to check out 'contact any celebrity' for all the ways to get ahold of his people..

I would think his publicist might be a good place to start, as you're looking for permission to use the footage freely... likely it won't be an issue either way, as long as he is shown in a good light. Good luck with your quest.

Jack: Potato doesn't have an 'E' on the end.. are you related to Dan Quale? :P

Back