Getting a cemetery set?

Can anybody tell me about the usual protocol or who I'd need to go to for permission to shoot in a cemetery? This will be my first time asking for a location (and for free)... :blush:

I would say the protocol is exactly the same as asking for any location: Know exactly how many days and for how many hours per day you will need the location. Know exactly how many people will be there and exactly where they will be parking. Know about your power consumption and where you're getting power. Know exactly how you will be protecting the location. Know exactly what support vehicles and equipment will be on the location.

Since you are asking for a location for free, remember that someone will need to be the representative (security guard, manager, owner) of the location and that person should be compensated some way. Often if you offer to pay for that persons time - at their usually hourly rate - a location owner is more likely to donate the use of the space. If you need to push your shoot for a month or so while you earn that money, you should.

Landing a cemetery to shoot in is not all that hard. I shot many a student film in them. Follow the normal rules and be respectful. One thing to avoid is featuring names on tombstones in shots.

Scott

Thanks for the advice everybody, much appreciated! And I've actually never seen the French Connection, so that reference is lost on me. I've never heard anything remotely like that, either. lol

And I've actually never seen the French Connection, so that reference is lost on me

You've made my film nerd day :D -- please, please watch it, you'll really appreciate your home town in a whole new way!

It's also one hell of a film -- you'll thank me for suggesting it!

Back