I'm a dumbass

I was on set today for one of my projects and ended up doing an interview with a local reporter (he was there to talk to some of the talent). I do NOT like verbal interviews and was not really prepared for this one. I tend to talk just to fill dead air, and I accidentally said a not-kind word about a network I'd worked with before. It wasn't anything really bad, but it could be interpreted as not-flattering. And it's a network we hope to pitch to soon.

Shit. I knew it when I said that I shouldn't have. Luckily, the dude seemed very cool and just wanted to do a puff piece about the production. He didn't seem to write that part down even though he was taking notes about some of the other stuff.

Anyway, I think the article comes out tomorrow and I hope I didn't fuck up as bad as I think I did.

Just had to vent.

I need a publicist.

I had a phone call from the head hancho at High Times about an article they were doing on a friend of mine. Little did I know most of my conversation was plastered all over the article as well as my name. Some of the things I said, I would have said if I knew I was being quoted. However, it ended up working out.
You should develop a relationship with this reporter. They are good to have in the pocket! You never know when you'll have to take 'em out and use them.

I wouldn't worry too much. Reporters usually have the story written in their heads before they even show up for interviews, and there is only a small percentage of reporters that would delight in causing scandal by using a non-flattering quote.

But I'd advise against trying to befriend them with ulterior motives, that usually wakes them up from their slumber and gets them wanting to BREAK the big story.

Poke

I just read the article and it's cool. It's a total puff piece. He does quote me praising our lead talent but that's it.

Whew.

Dodged a bullet! Glad you got some publicity and the chance to talk your actors up :)

Tips and tricks for public speaking (which is what this is):

When doing an interview, taking the time to think silently about your next statement is viewed as thoughtful. Filling the silence (as you discovered) is potentially dangerous. Umms and Ahhhs to fill the silence while you compose your next statement are looked upon as unintelligent. The same statements made with the same timing by the same people one with silence during statement construction and the other iwth ums will be percieved pprecisely oppositely and their carefully constructed sentences will be regarded accordingly.

I agree, knightly. It's largely subconscious and I have to make it much more conscious.

I actually talked to the guy sometime after the interview, some off-the-record stuff, and he was really cool. A very nice guy. I didn't feel like he would have quoted me to make anyone look bad, only that he might not have known that what I said was actually unflattering. My partner, for example, had criticized our talent for even mentioning a specific network in a previous article. And here I am actually mentioning a network AND criticizing them somewhat.

knightly said:
Dodged a bullet! Glad you got some publicity and the chance to talk your actors up :)

Tips and tricks for public speaking (which is what this is):

When doing an interview, taking the time to think silently about your next statement is viewed as thoughtful. .

...plus, it makes you look brainy :D

-- spinner :cool:

Back