• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Canon XL2

Is the Canon XL2 camcorder worth its money?

Currently i am looking for a more professional camera of broadcast standard and noticed a Canon XL2 priced at £3299 (about $4700) brand new. However i am unsure if the Canon XL2 is the right choice, so does anyone have any suggestions?

I've used both. I like the picture on the DVX better than the XL-2. And I think whatever feature advantages the XL2 has, like interchangeable lenses, aren't worth the extra cost.

I have an XL1s and I really like the form factor...it just looks cool on set. The footage is relatively comparable from the samples I've seen between the DVX and the XL series. And the real advantage of the interchangeable lenses is that I can sell my fully auto lens and buy a manual lens for about the same price...I never use the auto stuff on it anyway, I think it helps to ruin production qualities.

I think you should get to somewhere that has them to check out, or find someone around you...and play with them a bit before you buy them. Bring 2 DV tapes and load one in the XL shoot some footage...do the same with the DVX and the other tape...you can take these home and use your current DV camera to import them. Look at them on a regular TV as well as on your computer.

Get the one that matches your aesthetic, I'm sure Beeblebrox can give you a series of settings that'll get a nice pix on the DVX, and someone here who has used an XL2 can give you a "magic" recipe for it also.

If you can afford it I'd recommend the Panasonic AG-HVX200. While both the DVX-100A/B and XL2 are good cameras I've had the opportunity to use the HVX200 on a couple projects and love it's ease of use. You have more shooting options over the DVX100 or XL2, can record onto tape or P2 cards (no capture time) and the picture is outstanding. A very professional camera.

There are a lot of options out there. I'd recommend comparing the three cameras mentioned here, add up the extra options you may want, and total up your final cost. They are all very good cameras.

check out Bill Johns' Madness shot with xl2 (www.cinevidproductions.com) Personally, either the dvx100b or xl2 or hvx200 or any 3ccd would do you good as long as you know to 1. compositing of the scene, 2. light it well, 3. good story that goes with the scene, 4. good execution and you'll get a really nice project. They are just tools to make your dream and some tools can make life easier that the other, but any tool you use can always be good if you know how and what to do with it.

Thank you all for responding.

I have checked out the Madness trailer and the picture quality of the XL2 is most impressive.
However the next thing is the price, XL2 in UK is priced at £3299 (about $4700) brand new.
HVX200 is priced at £3400 ($4900) and a bit too expensive for me.
DVX100A is priced at $1629 (about £1000) which sounds ok.

Does anyone have a link where i can see the picture quality of the DVX100A?

that's probably best for you: test it out, decide from there, one of my short: En Passant was shot with DVX100A and one 100watts lightbulb and a stage light of 60wattage.

This week, I'll be releasing The Rapture teaser which was shot with Canon xl1 and Caonon Xl1s (screen grabs were posted here).

what I'm saying here is, they are good cameras if you know what you are doing with them, so perhaps best is really go out and test them out. and if $ is an issue as you stated, then you shouldn't even have to ask about which to get, obviously dvx100 is cheap and it would do you well.

The feature film November, starring Courtney Cox, was shot with a DVX-100 and won the cinematography award at Sundance.

Again, IMO, the price difference is the deal maker for the DVX. All things being equal, the XL2 and DVX square off fairly equally, trading a few features here and there. I like the picture of the DVX because I think it's a little more cinematic, but that's not exactly a technical measure between the two cameras.

If you go with the DVX, you'll save hundreds of dollars that you can use for accessories, and you'll have a damn fine camera that you'll love.

Thunderclap said:
If you can afford it I'd recommend the Panasonic AG-HVX200.

With HD, keep in mind that you may need to consider upgrading your capture/editing your computer/software to handle the footage/display of it. I'll be moving to HD in not too long (read: before I die). If you can hold out, you can get this:

http://www.red.com

but that's just a dream, it's not out yet.

I'd love to get an HVX, but as knightly points out, it's DVC Pro HD, which will likely require a whole system upgrade just to handle the HD.

You might consider the new JVC HDV camera that shoots 24p (not sure of the model number). I was not a big proponent of HDV until my brother got one. It works suprisingly well, and it works on a much lower-end system than the HVX does since it uses the same bitrate as DV.

Eddie Rex said:
Does anyone have a link where i can see the picture quality of the DVX100A?

You can check out my films website. It was shot on a DVX-100A.

Production Stills
Quicktime 7 Teaser

Both were posted before color correction so you can get a good sense of quality. I did notice when I coverted them to JPEG the darker stuff in the woods became a little more pixelated than they are in the actual film.

Ok i checked out your "Dead in the Water" trailer and the picture/audio quality is far superior than what i have now. Very impressive!

Does the DVX-100A need an external mike aswell? Or did you use the camera mike?

The DVX has two discreet XLR inputs and a built-in stereo mic. The channels can be set independently, which means you could have an external mic going in one channel and use the onboard mic for the other. Or you could use a lav for one channel and a boom mic for the other, which is what I'm going for a show next week.

Well, here's my opinion since I've used the XL-1S, XL2 and DVX.

Since you live in the UK, even an older XL-1S is a good option. At 25fps, with it's "fake" movie mode progressive scan, it can be just as cinematic as 24p on XL2/DVX. No one can tell the difference between 25fps and 24fps.

Since you wanted some screen grabs I've taken some for you (but this is just stuff I had readily available on my powerbook).

This is all 25fps XL-1S
breathing3.jpg

breathing1.jpg

You can watch the video online as well > http://www.flaviuman.com/breathing.html

darkness1.jpg

darkness2.jpg

darkness3.jpg

This video is also available online > http://www.flaviuman.com/darkness.html

This was all done with the standard lens.

Here's a clip from a video I shot on the XL2 (at 24p):
http://www.flaviuman.com/lily_pads.html
I don't have any pictures to add from that.

You may want to just view the videos above. The images attached here will most likely be too dark.

Of these three cameras I prefer the Canons simply due to their size. I rarely hold the cameras in my hand. They fit pretty nicely on the shoulder. I also like the XL2's focus/zoom recall features. I've also used the other lenses from Canon (the manual and the wide) which was helpful for me. On the other hand, the DVX is nice and compact which may make your life easier.

But in terms of quality, what will make your footage really stand out is your understanding of lighting, optics, set design, etc, etc. I see a lot of footage from all three of these cameras that looks like crap.

So, in my opinion, pick whichever one you want. hehe

Eddie Rex said:
Does the DVX-100A need an external mike aswell? Or did you use the camera mike?

As Breeblebox said, it comes with two mics but if you're going to be shooting a feature I highly recommend a boom mic. Never use the camera mic unless absolutely neccessary other wise expect your sound editor to end up hating you.

Thank you all for responding.

The pictures using the Canon XL1 shows it takes a nice picture in low levels of light and the Canon XL2 is available on my doorstep in high street stores.

However for the nearest DVX i would have to travel out of town, and its great that it comes with two mics as my audio quality is currently a disadvantage.

What do you think about the Canon XM2?

Back