Website video issues

It was recently brought to my attention that a few people had some difficulty viewing videos on my website. I would like to find the root of this pesky little problem!

It would be a big help if you guys could check out my website and let me know if the videos work for you:
http://www.flaviuman.com/videos.html

Please let me know what operating system, web browser and quicktime player version you are using.
Thanks!

Mac OSX 10.4.6, Safari 2.0.3, Quicktime 7.0.4

popup opens
quicktime logo as movie is apparently loading
browser not showing progress
top shows processor activity for safari while movie is purportedly loading
lsof lists a qtch (quicktime cache) file registered with safari which has an increasing size
Quicktime logo displays question mark
Curl -O 'http://www.flaviuman.com/trunk_fiction/trunk_fiction_MSTR.mov' downloads a 28k file which reports a bad public atom when trying to open it in quicktime player
head on the 28k file shows that the file thinks it's a quicktime movie (first several bytes show the type and creator code "?moovyrmraOrmda+rdrfurl trunk_fiction_MSTR.movrmdrx")
VLC does really weird stuff with it

If you have further questions for me, I can get whatever information you need from it. At first, it looked like the fast start wasn't set, but that didn't seem to be the case afterwards.

Thank you, knightly.

There is indeed a problem with the "Trunk Fiction" video. This seems like a corrupt QuickTime video file on the server. The video loads fine from my local html file, but not the one residing online. This one's new to me so I'm working on it. I will reupload the files and see what happens.

Othen than that do the other videos work fine for you?

Thanks for all the details.

"Trunk Fiction" is now fixed. The reupload did the job!

Anyone else? Some people said they were not able to view any of the videos...

I know QuickTime 7 had a lot of bugs. Version 7.0.4 had serious problems (for Mac anyway) and was pulled then re-released. I'm not sure if some people have the origional 7.0.4 installed.

Also does anyone get a message saying that you need QuickTime 5 or later to view the videos?

Does anyone here use GoLive (for Mac) to do webdesign? Another "clue" leads me to believe that GoLive may have caused some of the problems.

I get the "QuickTime 5 or later to view the videos" error on some and a big question mark on others. I'm on a PC and have QuickTime 7.04 loaded, BTW.

Alphie said:
I get the "QuickTime 5 or later to view the videos" error on some and a big question mark on others.
That's what I did not want to hear...:no:
Can you please tell me which ones fall into which category?

This is very weird.

CootDog, are you using QuickTime 7.0.4 as well (also on a PC)?

CootDog said:
Yes, the Pro version.:yes: And Firefox

coot, I've installed every plugin for firefox. None of them will run an wmv file on my website. It has a green icon thing that tells me to install a plugin but when I click it, It says no plugin can be found. I went on firefox website and downloaded everything from flash to quicktimes newest plugin and nothing is working. Do you know whats happening? I have several people who tell me that my streaming file isnt loading for them. they all use Firefox.

King... what OS are you running? WMV is a Microsoft Media Player file so you'd have to have version 9 or 10 installed to view properly. If you have a Mac you need to install either Microsoft's Media Player (though it's old and out dated) or you can install Flip4Mac which is a WMV plugin for Quicktime Player. In either event Firefox should be able to view the files assuming you have the proper software installed to view WMV files.

Using FireFox, go to Tools/Options/View & Edit Actions
Scroll down to WMV then choose Change Actions...
Click the Radio Button to play with default application.

Thunderclap said:
King... what OS are you running? WMV is a Microsoft Media Player file so you'd have to have version 9 or 10 installed to view properly. If you have a Mac you need to install either Microsoft's Media Player (though it's old and out dated) or you can install Flip4Mac which is a WMV plugin for Quicktime Player. In either event Firefox should be able to view the files assuming you have the proper software installed to view WMV files.

I have Win XP Media.

I have Microsoft 10 media. I have firefox with every plugin installed that they have on their website. I dont know why firefox is telling me it cant play it. ie does it fine but firefox doesnt.

Will one of you go to www.paskday.com and see if the movie streams for you? its on the front page. So use your firefox and see if it asks you for a plugin.

Back