• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How much audio can fit on a DVD?

So I've got about a 1 hour and 46 minute feature from start to end of credit roll. I want to have 2 surround mixes and 2 stereo mixes available in the menu. Will I be able to fit all that audio and video on a DVD?

If your mixes are ac3 files (stereo or dolby), you MIGHT be a ble to fit it in, depending the compression you do with your video, with 1 hrs and 46 mins of video footage, you have to lower the bitrate during encoding or you won't be able to fit the audio files in.

Okay, out of curiosity I ran a little test on a Hollywood-produced DVD. I picked a movie with a run time of 1:49 and 4 separate audio files. Also, I stripped out all extras so this experiment only factors the one video file (feature movie) and audio tracks. The 4 audio tracks were configured as follows:
DTS 6
Dolby AC - 3/6
Dolby AC - 3/2
Dolby AC - 3/2

Without using any additional compression -- either the DTS 6 or the Dolby AC - 3/6 will fit with the movie on a single layer disc, but not both.

All three Dolby AC files will fit together.

The DTS 6 file will not fit with any other audio file (at full quality), but it will fit with ONE of the Dolby AC-3/2 files with slight additional compression.

This does not factor in any additional files, such as munu structure, bonus features, etc.

I hope that helps...somewhat.

[EDIT:] I discovered two additional audio files on the disc -- mono recorded commentary, Dobly AC - 3/1. These do not affect the results posted above. ONE of these mono tracks will fit at full quality with the DTS 6 file. Both files have the same effect as adding ONE of the AC-3/2 files -- they will fit with slight additional compression.)

Last edited:
John, I think the video encoding bitrate have a lot to do, if they have encoded the video with 3000 bitrate or so, you should be able to fit the 2 ac3 files (which amounts to about 500meg or so each). THAT doesn't mean your quality will be as good as a 8000 bitrate file, but at least it is possible ;)

Johnny, I agree. My test was not really all that 'scientific'. I was just using it to get some benchmark ideas compared to a major-studio production quality disc. Lowering bitrates will certainly help.

This would all fit. It's simply a question of video bitrate. I don't think he's working with DTS, which is a rather sizable file. So you'd simply have to output your audio, then see how much room is left over for video and menus. Then calculate the bitrate for your video.

So I guess it takes DVD authoring software to ultimately figure out if it will fit (something I don't have yet). Is "Compressor" the Final Cut Pro export file type choice that you use for DVD authoring?
Dual-layer discs huh? Do duplication houses charge you much more for those than regular discs?

Compressor comes with FCP, so you should have it. There are presets there, but you'll probably need more control to finesse the file size.

And all of this is done before you get to the DVD authoring software.

Yes, duplication for dual layer discs is more, but you shouldn't need to do a dual-layer for this.

Beeblebrox said:
Yes, duplication for dual layer discs is more, but you shouldn't need to do a dual-layer for this.

I would agree, but only up to a certain point. If you keep lowering your bitrates in order to fit more content onto the disc, then eventually the quality will become noticeably degraded. If ALL you want to do is get your 1:46 feature video on the disc with the four audio files you mentioned ... then yes, you could adjust your bitrates down to fit everything on a single layer and the quality should still be perceivably acceptable. But, if you also want to add some other bonus video features then (depending on how much extra) the quality might get into the danger zone -- blocky, pixelated looks, stuttering, skipping, possibly won't track/play.

He didn't say anything about bonus features. He only asked if a movie with 4 audio tracks will fit on a disc. And it should without having to lower the bitrate to an unacceptible level.

If he asked about including a two-hour documentary, then dual-layer or a double-disc set becomes necessary.

if he figured out how many CDs it would take, he just has to devide it by 7. Because a single layered DVD is about 7 CDs of data.

I think the best thing for him is to just test it out for himself. as was mentioned, it depends on what codec type and bandwith settings

Back