Direct-to-DVD Going Rate

This is probably a long shot but I'm curious to know if there is an average sale price for films that are picked up for direct-to-DVD. I'm in the final stages of post-production on my first feature and I'm going to be contacting distribution companies soon and I want to get a general idea of what is a good sale price and what isn't.

Also, I have a book from 2000 by Hollywood Creative Directory called International Film Buyers Guide. I'm sure it's out of date but one thing that I'm a little confused by: some of the companies listed are listed as Buyers, others Distributors, and some both. Until I saw this I figured they were the same. Anyone know the difference?

Finally, and I will be searching through these threads more extensively, but if anyone who has sold a film has some advice for a first time film seller, it'd be appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Thunderclap said:
This is probably a long shot but I'm curious to know if there is an average sale price for films that are picked up for direct-to-DVD. I'm in the final stages of post-production on my first feature and I'm going to be contacting distribution companies soon and I want to get a general idea of what is a good sale price and what isn't.
Unfortunately there isn't an average. In the last few years the market for horror has dropped because of the huge volume of product out there. At last years AFM the few Sci-Fi movies created a small bidding war.

A good sale price is the one you like. I'm not being glib. You can't really make a decision based on what someone else was offered.
Also, I have a book from 2000 by Hollywood Creative Directory called International Film Buyers Guide. I'm sure it's out of date but one thing that I'm a little confused by: some of the companies listed are listed as Buyers, others Distributors, and some both. Until I saw this I figured they were the same. Anyone know the difference?
A buyer will act as a sales agent, offering the movie to all territories.
A distributor will market the movie, cover the expenses of duplication and place it in stores.

Back