Becoming a LLC....

Does anyone have any idea as to how to go about becoming a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation)??

I have heard that it costs ALOT of money, I've heard that it only costs $50.
I have heard that you need a lawyer, I've heard you can do this online.

Basically, I have no idea.

I do have a DBA certificate (Doing Business As). This was VERY easy to acquire and VERY inexpensive. But this LLC seems much more complicated.

anyone have any suggestions????

-- spinner :cool:

easy

It's easy to form an LLC..you can do it online, but it's best to do it with a lawyer, especially if there are multiple business partners...It might cost $500 or so with a lawyer and the formation fees..

reeceracer said:
It's easy to form an LLC..you can do it online, but it's best to do it with a lawyer, especially if there are multiple business partners...It might cost $500 or so with a lawyer and the formation fees..

....there's only me. :rolleyes:

I am chief cook and bottle washer, president and ceo and labor! figure that one out! :D

reeceracer said:

....there's only me. :rolleyes:

I am chief cook and bottle washer, president and ceo and labor! figure that one out! :D

Last edited:
If anyone is reading this, DO NOT LLC IN CALIFORNIA. It costs $800 a year in fees.

I *just* did an LLC here in Idaho. It is very, very easy. It requires a couple small documents (Articles of Organization) which can be gotten online from the Secretary of the State, then get your Tax ID (or Employer ID #... its the same #) from the IRS. And $100 here in Idaho. Its that simple, but here's the catch: You need to write the Operating Agreement for your LLC if it is a complicated situation otherwise all members are considered to have equal say and equal membership in the company, and by default the LLC will operate under the legal code of the state that you signed up in.

I would strongly suggest you spend some time reviewing this code in its entirety and read the forms before you sign them, there is some very important information in them.

LLC's are relatively new, and allows for no liability (short of fraudulent or negligent actions) to all owners or members but also is not anywhere as easy as a DBA.

LLC's are also pass-thru taxation.

DBA is a terrible way to do business. It offers zero liability protection.

As always, do a lot of homework on the subject or consult an attorney to help you set it up... but its easy enough you could do it yourself.

If you are a sole proprietor, the IRS treats an LLC with 1 member as such.

Talk to your secretary of the state office.. they can tell you all the details. Most have websites. ;)

This is the Michigan one: http://www.michigan.gov/sos

Briefly browsing through google results, it looks like the state filing fee for an LLC in Michigan is $50, and $25 to get a tax ID number (Not positive on that one.. but you need a tax id number to employ people)

Last edited:
There are MANY benefits to having an LLC. In fact, I'm creating 2 of them in Nevada! The cost for first year is $200 each. If you don't know someone there with an address, then you;ll need to find someone to sign for you as a NV local business rep.

WHY FORM AN LLC

BMW of North America, Microsoft Network, FOX Interactive Television or NFL Productions. These are familiar names. And they have one thing in common. They are all LLCs.

Most LLC owners will tell you that an LLC is the best way to go. An LLC offers the limited liability of a corporation while offering many flexibilities. We will try to explain the main benefits of an LLC in plain English below.

1) The number one reason:

An LLC has a major advantage: LLC laws doesn't allow a lawsuit to be filed against a member of the LLC for the liabilities of the LLC. Whereas the main officers of a corporation are routinely named as defendants in a lawsuit filed against the corporation. Therefore, the member's personal assets are safe unless he/she personally guarantees a debt.

2) 'Pass Through' of profit and loss:

All the profits and losses of the LLC are taxed on the member's personal income tax returns. Meaning if you are a single member of an LLC, you will report the profit or loss of your LLC in your form 1040. As such, an LLC offers the benefits of a regular Corporation without separate taxation. As with a partnership or a Sub-S corporation an LLC is a Tax Pass through entity.

What this means is: LLCs by default do not pay taxes. All income and losses pass-through to you as a member. So if you have losses in your LLC you can claim it against your personal income on your individual 1040. It is great for a start up business.

3) Ability to easily change to another form of entity:

It's easy to change your LLC to another form of legal entity. For example, you can change it to a C-Corporation. If you are starting a company, it may be beneficial to start a company as an LLC and write off the initial losses from your personal income and change to a C-Corp when the company becomes profitable.

4) Flexibility while allocating profits or loss:

This is a major benefit of an LLC. Unlike a Subchapter S Corporation where you are restricted as to how profit and loss are distributed among the owners and the type of losses you can pass-through to the owners, the members of an LLC can allocate ownership, profits and loss among the members anyway they like. In case of a C-Corporation, the profits and loss of the corporation cannot be allocated among the shareholders.

5) Business Asset protection:

LLC held assets cannot be seized by a member's creditor. Even if the creditor gets a judgment against a member, the creditor cannot get to the property owned by the LLC. The creditor has what is known as charging order remedy. Under which, if the creditor gets a judgment against a member of the LLC, the creditor is only permitted to collect any actual cash distributions that are made by the company to the member. Therefore, if no distributions are made to the member, there is nothing to collect.

WHY FORM A NEVADA LLC

Nevada has surpassed Delaware in LLC formation. Last year over 40,000 corporations were formed in Nevada and LLCs are gaining grounds as the popular form of corporate entity in Nevada.

Below are a few reasons we think Nevada is one of the best places to set up your LLC:

• Nevada LLC members cannot be sued for the LLC's liability: The following is a direct quote from the Nevada Revised Statutes: (NRS 86.371 Liability of member or manager for debts or liabilities of company):

"Unless otherwise provided in the articles of organization or an agreement signed by the member or manager to be charged, no member or manager of any limited-liability company formed under the laws of this State is individually liable for the debts or liabilities of the company."

Note: Attorneys will tell you that a member or manager can always be sued for criminal offences.

• No state tax in Nevada

• Universal Eligibility: You do not have to be US citizen to form an LLC in Nevada

• Single member LLCs are allowed
  • Flexibility in location: You can have provisions in your Operating Agreement allowing you to have offices (whether commercial or home-based) outside the state of Nevada. We include it by default.
  • Privacy: The state of Nevada does not share information with the IRS.

• Asset protection: Nevada is one of the toughest states in which to pierce the corporate veil.
  • Corporate Ownership:

A Corporate entity (such as a corporation) can own an LLC unlike in case of an S-Corporation. In fact an LLC can be owned by a corporate entity formed anywhere in the world.
  • Same-Day Creation:

Nevada allows you to set up your LLC same day.

Overall, an LLC maybe a better option for asset protection and for personal privacy purposes. Note that Nevada LLC Services is not a law firm and the above is not a substitute for legal or tax advice. An attorney can provide specific advice based on recent legal precedents in the courts.

CootDog said:
There are MANY benefits to having an LLC. In fact, I'm creating 2 of them in Nevada!
Setting up outside your state is not a good idea, you legally have to pay taxes for that state, and the state you do business in. Any tax attorney will tell you this. Yes, taxes are cheaper in other states, but you shouldn't form an entity there unless you are doing business there. Double taxation! Talk to an attorney or accountant. They'll tell you to form in the state you do business in, and to avoid the scams that don't tell you you'll be double taxed.

I'm actually meeting with my lawyer next week to discuss this and other things, so I'll ask him and/or my financial advisor or Tax man

I'll let you all know what I find out. I've never heard of double taxation. Nevada does not have a sales tax and since all of our sales are online, I'm thinking that no sales tax is collectable. As far as state income tax, since the business is online with corp address in NV and data center in IL. Money is only made online.

States with no state tax...

spinner said:
Does anyone have any idea as to how to go about becoming a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation)??

I have heard that it costs ALOT of money, I've heard that it only costs $50.
I have heard that you need a lawyer, I've heard you can do this online.

Basically, I have no idea.

I do have a DBA certificate (Doing Business As). This was VERY easy to acquire and VERY inexpensive. But this LLC seems much more complicated.

anyone have any suggestions????

Traditionally speaking, you want to file your LLC in a state with no state income tax:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Our production company was going to file an LLC in Nevada but after several days with very expensive lawyers, we've decided not to... Why? Our enterainment lawyers are telling us that Nevada has now become the audit state.

Brand new LLCs are getting audited like crazy according to our lawyers... We're not bailing on Nevada because of hiding anything but the cost of having an audit in time and money is something we don't want to deal with if we don't have to...

We're also looking at:

New Hampshire
Tennessee

Because these two states tax only dividend and interest income.

Having said all that... The lawyers say that the best state to file the LLC in is most likely the state where most of the business activity is.

Filing in another state to save fees or take advantage of that state's particular laws means that you'll have to register in the state where the actual business activity is conducted to preserve your liability protection.

That alone will create double fees and usually is not worth it unless your company is pretty large...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we're also looking at Delaware because of their favorable LLC laws:

http://www.delcorp.com/ydecorp.htm

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto re: filing in your home state. Our tax lawyer gave us this advice, citing the reasons stated above. One other note that I have not seen mentioned: your LLC must show a profit within four or five years (check with your lawyer on the time frame). You can show a loss three straight years, but must show a profit in the fourth. Then you can show a loss again. (Sorry I'm not 100% clear and perhaps it's different for each state?). I'm not sure what happens if you don't show a profit within the stated time frame (whew! hasn't happened so far). But it's helpful because you can purchase equipment for your LLC, and claim a loss on your taxes (possibly) and reduce your tax bill. Nice.

Media Hero said:
Ditto re: filing in your home state. Our tax lawyer gave us this advice, citing the reasons stated above. One other note that I have not seen mentioned: your LLC must show a profit within four or five years (check with your lawyer on the time frame). You can show a loss three straight years, but must show a profit in the fourth. Then you can show a loss again. (Sorry I'm not 100% clear and perhaps it's different for each state?). I'm not sure what happens if you don't show a profit within the stated time frame (whew! hasn't happened so far). But it's helpful because you can purchase equipment for your LLC, and claim a loss on your taxes (possibly) and reduce your tax bill. Nice.
Yes, claiming losses is important. I was told you can't claim losses first year with LLC, but you can with s-corporation. This may be NY only. A good tax attorney will help bigtime.

Set up a LLC with a lawyer and it might cost you $3,000. Go with someone who ONLY handles incorporating and you will pay about $500. Don't forget to maintain a separate bank account, separate phone number and separate address (than your personal one) otherwise your LLC isn't worth the paper it's written on. Don't mix personal and business stuff. Your LLC is a separate entity all it's own.

I have an LLC in Ohio. It's fairly simple to get here. I think it cost $60 or $90. There is no yearly fee or tax and it protects you very well. I did not consult a lawyer and drew it up myself using a great resource- the LIBRARY. There are tons of great law resources there, kept up to date. I found one that not only had everything in the book, it came with a CD-Rom of forms to download and use. I do have an accountant to handle the messy tax work the LLC requires though. :) Good luck.

by way of disclaimer- I am not a lawyer and am not providing legal advice, just my personal experience.

Lilith said:
I have an LLC in Ohio. It's fairly simple to get here. I think it cost $60 or $90. There is no yearly fee or tax and it protects you very well. I did not consult a lawyer and drew it up myself using a great resource- the LIBRARY.

...I may want to contact you, I am very DIY....

Everyone is doing S Corporations these days rather than LLC's. 2 lawyers and 1 accountant just told me to get an S-Corp rather than a LLC. Also there are attorneys that will get you registered in California for $800 + about $200 in state fees, AND they will tell you what you need to do to properly maintain an S-Corp that cannot be penetrated by someone trying to sue you. Keep in mind that to maintain a valid corportation you need a real mailing address (not a PO Box), phone that someone answers, etc. By the time you pay for all that stuff in Nevada it all evens out. California doesn't actually save you.

Keep in mind that if you don't have much money to sue for then don't worry about forming a corporation.

Back