Anyone see this 80s Classic Film?

Electric Dreams (1984)

Bud Cort (Harold and Maude) plays the voice of the Computer (edger?)

I kept looking on Netflix for it but couldnt find it. At first I couldnt remember the name of it. I for some reason thought the name was "Electric Blue" until I did some research. I really loved this film, it was one of my favorite cult classic films out of the 80s.

Turns out, Electric Dreams was never released on DVD. I've seen it on VHS, but its rare to find unless you go on ebay. And face it, anything on VHS is going to be pretty warn by now.

I wonder why they dont remaster it and let it out on DVD. It has a pretty cool soundtrack ( I think culture club played a few songs in it) It was filmed in San Francisco with some awesome sceneries you dont normally seen from San Francisco. The San Francisco Symphony playing in it as well.

Anyways, If you work in the filming industry and know how to contact these people/distributors, email them and ask them to please release this film on DVD. I bet anything they would sell tons of copies and it would be worth their effort.

I remember that film. Since computer equipment was new and expensive, any wild concept like that film seemed somewhat plausible.

I'm demanding The Legend of Billie Jean on DVD. But with the official release of HD-DVD *TODAY*, I doubt this classic 80's film will ever see the light of day on SD DVD. :tear:

I vaguely remember this film. Maybe they can put it on DVD and release as part of an '80s tech box set with War Games and that movie where kids get sucked into video games in some mall arcade.

Though, I'm rooting for Downhill Racer and The Krays to make it to DVD before this.

When I was a kid...the local video store had a box full of movie posters they were throwing out so I asked for them. Electric Dreams was one of the posters I put up on the wall in my room -- I thought the graphics were cool. It stayed there for several years.

I never saw the movie, though. Strange how that happens...

This message is rated [PG]

What I remember about Electric Dreams was the computer mumbled the "F" word about 30 times (in about the span of a minute, attempting to determine what that word meant) and the movie only got a PG rating.

Modern day CGI films are getting a PG without a single blue word in them. "Thematic elements" my ass.

...I remember seeing that movie on tv. For me the best part was that Boy George sang the 'theme' song. Still like that song, too :)

-- spinner :cool:

Here is the first 8 minutes of the film, I found on googles film vault. (Electric Dream)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4860781555782598553&q=Electric+Dreams&pl=true

Im guessing it was a low budget film, but in the day it was fun to watch. The movie clearly is very dated, so if you weren't born prior to 1975, Im gonna guess you might just get bored with this film. It's worth renting, I think I'll go rent it on VHS and just watch it from my old video camcorder (Since its the only vhs player I have left).

Sorry to dig it up again, but I was at the local video store. They were clearing out all the VHS since not many people rent them anymore and they take up more room then the DVDs.

So I was able to buy Electric Dreams for 3 bucks. Only downside is, i dont have a VHS machine. I would like to get one of those VHS to DVD machines but they're pricey too. At least the ones that record from vhs to DVD.

ed1.jpg

ed2.jpg

FilmJumper said:
Seems like the perfect place to post a link to this article:

What Netflix Could Teach Hollywood

"So, while the studios spend their energy promoting bland blockbusters aimed at everyone, Netflix has been catering to what people really want — and helping to keep Hollywood profitable in the process."

filmy

I love netflix. Blockbusters is now renting vids through mail. I think they're about 3 bucks less a month for the 3 films at a time. Plus you get 1 free instore rental a week (4 a month) for the next 12 months.

But, Im not going to even bother with blockbuster video because I dont think they will carry the same titles as netflix. At least not for a few years. So Im gonna stick with netflicks for now.

This is a good link, thanks for posting it. It makes alot of sense, since their rental logs are like a data base of information. I think Hollywood should cut netflix a deal in exchange for their information and in return, costs can be lowered to the consumer for about 25-50% less a month. So maybe 9.99 for 3 movies at a time instead of 20 dollars.

Just in case anyone decided to come back into this thread. I have finally watch the film in VHS. But it doesnt matter, It was so good. it is such a classic. the storyline, The camera angles and the acting was great. It truely is a classic. If you're under the age of say 25, you should find it and rent it. even if it means borrowing a friends VHS machine.

Its a good movie. Also a great film was "After Hours". another great 80s film.

Back