Audio SFX

I am about the begin editing my short film and I am trying to decide what editing program to buy. I am leaning heavily towards Adobe Premiere Pro, mostly because I am very familiar with Photoshop and like the Adobe line. But, I am interested in doing some specific audio effects in my film, mostly changing voices dramatically... ie: young boy sounds like an old man, man sounds like a woman, etc... it's kind of the key aspect to the comedy, so it's important that it comes out good.... I don't want to deal with dubbing, so I am hoping to just be able to tweak the audio that I already have.

Does Premiere Pro have this capability? I know i will be able to adjust simple things like treble / bass and pitchshifter, but I am looking for more "cool" effects. Is there a plug-in available? After Effects maybe? Or is there a stand-alone audio effects program out there?

Any info would be helpful :)

You'll probably want something that is specific to audio editing.

If you pick up the creative suite or the new production studio from adobe then it will come with audition, their audio editor. Otherwise you might look at soundforge from sony, and I'm sure there's still decent free ones roaming around..

Maybe try out Audacity

I agree with Will. You should have a sound editing app to do all the SFX you described above. Sound Forge is a very good program.

Good luck with the FX you do. I'l like you do to a before and after, SFX if you can.

I would have to say, I prefer sound forge to any of the other programs I've tried.. BUT.. I never spent time to learn audition, and I know it's got some really nice features. One of these days I'll spend the time to learn it :)

Back