• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ADR editing

Ok, I have had to do some dialogue replacement on the film I am wrapping up. The recordings went ok and they sync with the video pretty good. But here is my problem, the voices sound alittle too good. They sound too full and vibrant, and thus sound artificial.
I have added some slight reverb to account for room acoustics, but the vibrancy remains.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks from past ADR editing experience?

Check the natural sound and the ADR sound on a frequency graph and adjust the EQ to make them match a bit, then use some room tone (you did get room tone right ;) ) to help make the ambience match. Try different echo/reverb settings to try to get a convincing sound...I like freeverb for an echo plugin with tons of options (and free). It is a VST plugin, so will work with most editing systems.

P;ease forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this "frequency" graph you referred to? I'm using FCP and Soundtrack Pro for my audio work. How should I go about this?

I'll attempt to get the files online today.

Thanks again

How far away from the mic was the talent? Perhaps you recorded too close to the mic. The "Proximity Effect" means that the closer to the mic you get the "bassier" it sounds. I believe that 12" is the best distance. You need to experiment and test to find the "sweet spot" for your mic.
Have you sweetened the ADR yet? Does the recording have artifacts that sound like a microphone? You need to smooth out the harsh P's, B's, S's by doing crossfades to a parrallel track that has the bottom end of the harsh audio EQ'd out and volume adjusted if and as needed.
Usually it takes 4 different types of reverbs to make it sound like the talent is really in a room.

I just ADR'ed and floey'ed every sound and dialog for an ENTIRE movie so talk to me dog!

We may have some of this coming up so I looked around. I found one that utilizes my particular brand of NLE (I'm not advertising, just stating a fact) but the process works the same no matter what you record with so I'll post the link.

h++p://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/adr/re-recording_in_sony_vegas.htm

I'm not sure on the ruling here at IT of using live links to other sites so just replace the plus sign with the letter T.

The way I see it, everyone should try ADR as an experiment in case you have to do it for real under pressure some other time.

everyone should try ADR as an experiment in case you have to do it for real under pressure
Everyone should do ADR so they know how much of a pain in the ass it is and so that they ALWAYS hire a soundman who knows what the f*ck he's doing and so that they ALWAYS get great sound during their shoot. It took me 1 year to replace all the dialog and sounds for a movie.

Back