2 months to go!Hello USA!

Got a few minutes to hit a computer and thought Id get some feedback if I could.Im in the Middle East and trying to get some footage for my first documentary while deployed here as a reservist.I guess Im trying to do something along the lines of gunners palace.(I would love to hear what some of you folks think of that doc.).Heres what I have;A $500. panasonic GS35 and a crappy radio shack lavalier.I am realizing why so many in the past have stressed the importance of audio.And one thing I never counted on is the ungodly 24 hour,high decibal noise factor.With out an external mic of some sort your only chance is lip reading.In any case,with my no budget equipment do you think PBS would be even remotely interested if I did a good job editing?Also is there something I can do to make the video a little more acceptable?Like Majic Bullet maybe?Im plain curious to hear some experienced thoughts on this stuff.Im at least gonna have a hundred printed and cased to send to the people that were involved over here but if there is any hope I can get it aired even by a long shot I wouldnt know where to start.Looking forward to it and thanks for being here!Fred

You might look at making it known that you have footage, to other filmmakers, to news services, prodcos, etc... in order to take the weight off your shoulders in regards to having a finished, polished piece- you could get your start by having your footage used on another project, like a documentary feature where having clips of varying quality is the norm. Or you could go for a shorter work, say 10 - 40 minutes, and send it through the short festival circuit. I suspect audiences are pretty forgiving when it comes to battle-setting interviews, it would seem pretty odd to have stellar audio in the middle of a war.

There's a lot that can be done in post to cut background noise - fortunately the human voice occupies a fairly unique frequency range in the audio scheme of things. It's worse to overload your recorder with too much signal than to have a track that's kind of faint. You can't easily salvage distorted, overloaded audio, but you can always put a "notch filter" on a faint signal and kick up the dBs. I think you'll have to live with a certain amount of noise, but again- when it's the real thing, it matters a lot less. Compelling docu interviews and shots will always grab attention, and if worse comes to worse and you have unusable audio, go to the old standby: riveting narration over an appropriate music track. It's the old "World At War" technique - two minutes of Auschwitz footage M.O.T. (no synced audio), a few violins and a kindly old uncle narrator and you have them in the palm of your hand. Or stand somewhere safe and reasonably quiet and record some "room sound" (ambient sound) which you can lay behind scenic footage. Being in the middle of one of humanity's most tragic and preventable bad habits is already a foot in the door, sadly enough.

Keep your ass low! You want to be the interviewer, not the interviewee

You can use the interviewee's body to shield some of the noise. I'm not sure what the shooting environment is, but if lighting allows, if you can put the subjects body between the mic and the source of the noise (back to the noise) with you in front of them blocking the echoes, it should help a little bit, but again, it's reality, the audience will forgive you.

I second the call to keep your head down :)

Also

I am an active duty, Us Marine, deployed to Somolia. I like where your heads at but it wont make for a good film. The last guy gave the best advice. I would use it all as stock footage if your going to film it. Even still, you might not sell much because of the film quality. I know for a fact, were making great money out here, so here is what you do. Film what you want to film, but for fun, your not prepared nor do you have the equipment or crew to go film a "decent" movie/documentary out there. Hundreds have allready filmed what your are trying to also. Trust me, I have about 5 videos from friends over there that made their own documentary. Buy your self a nice camera, nice audio equipment, and some lighting. Important*. When you go home sit down with your nice, new shiny equipment, and go find a script to shoot. Post it on here when your done and let us all gawk over your great film making abilities. Sorry to be a downer but Marines hate Airforce. Just kiddin, Im airwing , still a Marine:D , have a fun time over there. I am out in a month.

I've still gotta go with do it and see what comes out. You may have seen tons of run of the mill, docs that you consider crap or repetetive, but this may be the one that breaks that mold. If discouraged, he, we and you will never know. At the worst, it's a great learning experience that could lead to a job as a field camera operator for a major news outlet. I definately encourage you to make your doc!

<edit>And thank you both for your hard work with the armed forces. They wouldn't take me for health reasons, so I feel it's my duty to help you all by letting you know how much I personally appreciate what you do for us!</edit>

Last edited:
Im a little floored that there are still people out ther that are genuine enough to give a rat shit.Thank you and I allways like to check in.Everytime I do there is something that puts my first project in a better quality bracket regardless of my equipment.My hellos to Somolia Marines.Its ok your still my brother.Im out of here in like 7 weeks.PS should I pick up more of a pro video cam at a downtown location?HmmmmmmmmThanks again you all! Bair

Honestly it is all about your creativity. You dont need a high end camera to make a great film but I am telling you these days technology helps. You have twelve year olds running around with HD Cams now. These kids are not idiots and they are making semi good films with the kids from their block. You have competition. If you can make your old camera work, more power to ya. Other than that, I wish you luck, and have a safe trip home.

Hosting the wreck-beach international film festival we have received a few of these types of documentries..they are not what we are looking for ...the creativity has to be there ..shots of the everyday life as a marine or armed personal while interesting are "ordinary" pieces ...most seem to be from the shooters perspective and few show scenes of everyday lives of the people whos country they are in..Just some thoughts
captain..._/)..

Back