Uh, oh! A Final Cut Pro Question!

I am trying to finish a project and somehow separated it into 2 parts. No problem, I put on my links and move it back to where it should be. However, now I have little red 'bow ties' where the two places have been 'snapped' back together.

Can anyone tell me what those 'red bow ties' are about? I need to get ready to render and I don't want this to mess anything up. I wouldn't even know how to look for this in the manual....

any advice?

-- spinner :cool:

you can try to right click (ctrl click) on it and see if it gives you a "join through edit"(?-I think that's right) option. Remember when you make a mistake to take your hands off of the keybd and mouse and hit undo before doing anything else...if you havne't quit out of it, it may still let you do so, but it'll be in reverse order, so anything you've done since then will be undone as well.

Knightly, Thanks. As it turns out it may have been a marker that I accidentally hit, but since I haven't been using the markers, I wasn't sure what it looked like. However, I have a much more pressing FCP question now :huh:

Here's the situation:

Even as we speak I should be in my car driving to work, and I will be at work until long after the post office closes. Why am I telling you this? Because I need to get my version of the 48 Hour competition footage down to Grand Rapids so that the others who worked on it can see it before I send it by priority mail to the Really Short Film Fest by April 2. Priority mail says it will get there in 3-4 days. That means I need to send it to the production crew today or at least by tomorrow before I am in a position to not get to the post office.

So, here's the question because I need a quick way to get my project out of the Mac. I have been following the 'for dummies' manual and it has gotten me this far, but as usual I am running out of time:

How do I get my project out of FCP and into/onto a DVD?

I have a top of the line Mac G4 so I know it will do it, I just can't seem to find how to get it to create a DVD from Final Cut Pro. The manual says it will make a CD, but I am not finding a quick way to make a DVD and it needs to be made quickly.

Please don't think I am lazy and not wanting to read the manual, I am reading it, I am just out of time now :blush:

You guys have saved my a** many times before, so I know you will have an answer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks so much in advance....

if you export as a quicktime file, you should be able to pull that into dvd studio or idvd easily. then you burn from there. Option 2 is that you dump it back to a DV tape and bring it somewhere to master a dvd for you from that.

knightly said:
if you export as a quicktime file, you should be able to pull that into dvd studio or idvd easily. then you burn from there. Option 2 is that you dump it back to a DV tape and bring it somewhere to master a dvd for you from that.

...I have no idea how to do that....:blush:

what can I say, I have gaps in what I know. I have good execution, but the details are what kill me every time.

....I am working on that.....so, how do I do that :huh:

under file, export, quicktime file...choose a location such as your desktop. This will create what is esentially an edit decision list (EDL) that will just play as a movie in any quicktime app that has the original DV files. Do you have either dvd studio pro or idvd? I've used idvd, but not dvd studio pro. In idvd, you would make a new dvd project, choose a theme and drop the quicktime export you just made into the main window. Title it and hit burn. It may take some twiddling, but that's the main process.

...knightly....

this is actually a Mac question:

I was installing some updates to my laptop G4, which takes FOREVER by the way, and when I restarted, I got an error that says an item in the starup items folder("/Library/StartupItems/Qmaster") does not have the proper security settings.

How do I know if I should Disable or Fix? I suppose I could fix it but I don't want to mess up anything.

What do I do?????

--spinner :cool:

There are a couple of schools of thought on this. I'm with the less paranoid set about apple's ability to recognize potential issues, I say go ahead and hit fix. If you want to make absolutely sure that you can return it to its original state...The security settings it's going to change are the unix level permissions of the file. You can go in manually and find these permissions either through the get info panel of the Qmaster file in [your hard drive] > Library > StartupItems. Or you can do it the oldschool way and use the terminal to verify. the Terminal application is located in your Applications > Utilities folder. Once open, you are presented with the text, unixy interface to OSX's BSD underbits. The command to check the permissions of that file is:

Code:
ls -l /Library/StartupItems/QMaster

Remember that in the terminal, you can do horrendous things to your computer if you're not careful. That's a little over the top, and most truly evil commands will require a password, but you can lose documents if you use commands such as 'rm' - (remove file) carelessly.

Back