CANON XL1S... Still Worth It?

Hi guys, just a quick opinion on the CANON XL1S. Is it still worth getting, or are there better camera's out there in it's price range? All your opinions will be greatly appreciated! Cheer, Kane, CVF.

I guess it depends on what you want to do???

Are you intending on using interchangeable lenses?

Personally I've only used the DVX100 and would love to get one.

If I find an XL1S at a really good price, from a really good vendor, then I just might buy it. That is... if it's way below the cost of a DVX.

I own an XL1s. Great work horse camera! If you can afford the XL2, get that instead...that will address all of the deficiencies the XL series had vs. panasonics DVX line, 24p better color control. It makes the 2 lines very comparable, but with the XL, you have the ability to changes lenses (which you may or may not do) and it just looks really impressive on set! If you are trying to impress investors who walk on your set, the XL looks closer to what they expect to see on top of a tripod. Huge Glass!

Hmm, i'm not too sure if i will get the use out of the interchangeable lenses at this point, got to be sensible, money wise. So the Xl1s, Xl2 or the dvx line are the best picks in this range? Do you guys think the dvx line is a better choice if i wouldnt get the use out the interchangeable lenses at this point in time?

they're very comparable...there are folks on both sides of this line...(much like the mac/pc discussion). I think you can get fabulous footage out of both. I'm on the canon side of the line, but I'd take either. If you have XLR microphones, you need the Panny or an add on for the XL.

Assuming you have the capture/editing capabilities in place to use the HD equipment. Otherwise it can start to look more expensive. I've been looking at higher end HD cameras though, and the HD100 by JVC looks pretty good!

Ok, well sorry for appearing dumb on the HDV cameras, but i havent looked into them that much. Is it a definite thing that they are better than DV? What do they give that DV doesnt? And also, what are the different requirements to edit it? Is it software, haveware... Cheers!

I have the DVX100 and I love it. But the XL2 is very good as well, and it does 'look' more impressive. I'm staying away from Prosumer HD right now until it works it self all out, though the DVX's HD brother looks quite impressive.

Back