Selling through iTunes

I should know more about this topic since I've gotten so into podcasting, but I've been thinking that selling my film through the iTunes store. They now sell films and TV episodes for $1.99. I like the idea of reaching a large audience, even if the price per unit is low. I think alot of people (like myself) would buy more indie films if the price was low enough so that I don't feel ripped off if I don't like the film. I also think that selling this lower cost, lower resolution version would interest more people in buying the DVD.

Does anyone have experience selling through iTunes and the Apple music store? I'd like to know about the process and experiences anyone has had.

In order to sell through the iTunes store, you have to sign a distribution and content contract. I have found that the distribution deal that Apple offers isn't worth it.

However, I am working on something where you can list in iTunes and all the other podcast directories and get paid per download of your film.

Interesting...

CootDog said:
In order to sell through the iTunes store, you have to sign a distribution and content contract. I have found that the distribution deal that Apple offers isn't worth it.

However, I am working on something where you can list in iTunes and all the other podcast directories and get paid per download of your film.

I'm very interested in your idea. Of course, I will pursue traditional distribution first, but this looks like a viable alternative. Keep us posted on what you find out.

It's funny I saw this topic on here today. My friend and I were talking about starting a podcast once we get started on our film project just last night. I know it's been done before, but it could to help play around and learn techniques at the same time. At least by then iTunes will have a cheaper way to sell our movie.

CootDog said:

Do you have a link to a copy of the iTunes contract? What made you decide it wasn't worth it?

You can probably still release on DVD, because the iPod format is so tiny that it's essentially a teaser. I've been playing with the video ipod, it's fun to watch short pieces on it.. but anytime you are supposed to read text on the screen or appreciate a cinematic wide shot, fuggetaboutit.

Last edited:
I had contacted the iTunes person directly, I forget her name now. Basically I didn't like how everything would be limited to the iTunes directory. With podcasting there are many more directories than iTunes and I can charge per enclosure.

Back