know how to set someone on fire?

i need to set a guys arm on fire for a minute long comedy short.

he has to be able to have his arm (in a business suit) on fire and it has to be a small controlled, the guy has to be able to play it as if he is not on fire, any hints advice on making this happen?

thanks!

http://www.spitnspite.com

Well you could always go the safe digital route... which is what I would do if I didn't have access to the necessary trained pros and supplies. That's not something I'd try doing myself!

yeah, safe... i guess...
thanks for the tip mom.

J/k! yeah, i'm looking into that right now actually, i was just curious about using practical effects to achieve this, the way i would shoot it and edit would only require short moments of actual fire to be on the guys arm but the cheesy fake fire i think would look like shit so...

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Real fire, use a pro-pyrotech dude.

Digital, use Combustion (at least, that's what I'd use) And there are MANY MANY fires in movies that are not real, and you'd never know it.

Digital is probably the best, cheapest, easiest way to go. Otherwise you really do need a pyrotech on set, and my understanding is that they aren't terribly cheap. Especially since you would also need insurance, and most likely the fire department on set as well.

For small controlled practical fire, though I would NEVER put it ON anyone, but for small smatterings of burning concrete and such, rubber cement burns well, stays mostly self contained (though it does get quite hot ... eventually) and is easily put out, and just as easily repeatable. But again.. I would never douse someones arm in it..

Not after that mishap in highschool art class... but that's a story for another time. (Unless you really want to hear about it.)

Last edited:
I'll tell you that there's alot of stupid stuff I don't think is that bad to do your self...jsut opens you up to litigation...but I ran Pyro when you could do so for bands in clubs...A squib can hurt you...fire will maim/kill you as it's unpredictable as hell if you don't know what you're doing!

When is your project going into pre-production?
What's the production and post production schedule?

The reason why I ask is that I've started a VFX company and while we have stuff on our plate already, there may be a brief window of opportunity where I could help you.

Hey CootDog, that'd be awesome!

I'm writing the script right now, I work as an animator so I've gone ahead and pretty much thumbnailed the enitire short already so it's about good to go. So, let's see... I'm shooting my current short in 3 weeks which makes me think that I could shoot this in about 6 weeks but I'd have to add a week in case life happens so ... realistically, being a 1 cam 1 room set up, let's say 7 weeks from now will be the shoot date.

If you can help out at all that'd be great. Even if it's just advice. I'll write up the script by Friday and if you're interested we can get in touch. It deals with some racy (hilarious to me) behavior so...

If you want, being that all my shorts are simple simple simple (out of design), I could technically get a shoot going way(!) sooner.

Get in touch. Are you in the LA area?

I like using these ( " ( ) " ) things.

That might just work, I'll bring it to the others. We're about to go to Prod on our current project, within a week or two. So the timing might be right. I'll see what they say and what the schedule looks like.

I know that we'll be shooting the first episode for "The HadlBran Chronicles" in about 6 to 8 weeks though.
And I'm launching a website inbetween now and then.

I'll let you know. But we can talk off thread if you'd like.
<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Location, look to the left
Anyone have any tutorials for salazar for AE or Combustion on layering a "fire man"?

On one hand it sucks that something like this can be done in a computer. It puts guys like me out of business.

On the other hand it's good because maybe fewer people will get hurt.

Depending on a lot of different factors like location, permit requirements and the actor or stunt person, this gag is very simple. Chances are it could be prepped in a day or even on set on the day of the shoot. Without knowing anything about it, I'd guess $750 to $1,250.

That cheaper than the software and the time it would take to learn it to make the effect!

Personally, I'd hire rik, there.. he's in the same area as you!

It's worth a sitdown at least, isn't it?

The increase in your insurance costs will probably cost more than the actual stunt gag, if you can find someone who's still looking to gain experience but has the qualifications. There's some amazing new burn gel out there that I think is going to completely change how these are done in the future, but even using the more common and cheaper old stuff, this is a very simple gag for those with training... and a very dangerous gag for those without.

My advice, find somewhere that teaches stunt burns (I know one in Seattle, but there's got to be at least one in LA) and ask them if they know someone who's been through the school, maybe an old grad or assistant, who they'd recommend.

I know we've done them for basically the cost of materials and gas sometimes up here in Seattle, just because we don't get many opportunities to do burns on movies, but LA is probably a different creature.

FWIW, I'm not a coordinator or qualified to be one for burns, but I've been on safety crew for several dozen full body burns, and have done three big full body burns myself.

Back