What do you think about a 1 second film?

Before I give my thoughts on this project, I would like to get your thoughts.

The official website is here: the1secondfilm.com

Some info about it:

WHAT IS THE 1 SECOND FILM?

THE 1 SECOND FILM is a non-profit collaborative film bringing thousands of people around the world together to create the biggest shortest film ever made. Virtually any one can help produce this film by donating as little as $1. Our producers range from celebrities to great-grandmothers and gas-station attendants from over 28 countries around the world. Our credits will last an estimated 90-minutes and will include a feature-length 'making of' documentary. All profits raised by the finished film will be donated to the Global Fund for Women.

BE A FILM PRODUCER FOR $1 AND GET ON IMDb! THE 1 SECOND FILM is financed entirely by donations, allowing all of the film's profits to go to charity. Help produce Film History- credits are also being listed on IMDb! Make a donation.

1 SECOND OF ANIMATION The one-second film is animated and consists of 12 giant frames (9ft x 5ft paintings) made by hundreds of participants during an all-night event. Each painting gets filmed twice to create the 24 frames in one second of animation. Each frame of the film has its own story. The paintings will be on exhibit after the film's premiere and auctioned off to raise money for charity.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, and it'll get me in the IMDB? Cool. From what I understand, it's easier to get your films listed on the IMDB once you're already in there. Strange, but an interesting way to try to keep only movies in that have a relevance or viability to them...not just my old VHS shorts that no one wants to see ;)

Our credits will last an estimated 90-minutes
Now THAT is way too long.. I recall seeing something about credits getting longer and longer recently, and this is just the worst extreme... especially if the 'film' is only one second in length.. sounds very .. erm.. strange.

Also, I have to add, the 'creator's' future proposal of a collaborative feature length animation compiled of disparate images from multitudes of artist is nothing new. Hell, in college all the film students were required to *add* animated sections to complete one piece (the idea being to appreciate a sort of Pudovkin montaging). Granted the end product wasn't *world peace and reconciliation* but the formal objectives were the same as this producer's.

The film isn't a film as such ... it's ninety minutes of credits.

It's a film version of selling pixels on a web-site. Nice that the money is going to charity ... it's only that, that moves it from scam to conceptual film-making.

thought of as a fake

I personally think this gimmick is genius.:yes:
What a way to make money, for charity or to fund the film, or whatever.

However, buying your way into the IMDB doesn't seem right. It seems like it's degrading the filmmakers that get in there the hard way. Would having "The 1 second film" on your IMDB resume be looked down upon? Would it be thought of as fake?:huh:

I'd be more interested in this if they were actually making a FILM with my money and then donating the proceeds to charity.

Yea and the stars aren't credited in the IMDB as a producer either. I wonder why they didn't want to be associated with it with their IMDB profile?

The 90 mins of credits are going to run in tandem with the behind the scenes of footage of the actual painting process selection of material, fundraising etc. So it's really a full length feature BTS ;) I'm curious to see how well their BTS dv footage blows up to 70mm. It'll probably end up looking like a c.1984 atari game.

Cootdog raises an interesting point about it being a possible scar on you IMDb profile, but as a contributor, you are responsible for submitting your own name to the project's IMDb entry. If you don't want to risk it but still want to participate, that remains an option.

In some of the BTS footage of the fundraising they've got, they show the guy getting the big stars to contribute, many look as though they're contributing to shut him up...he even lent $1 to steve buscemi to contribute. Jay Leno ran away from him :). Mr. Brosnan looked annoyed with the guy. Tom Green and Andy Dick went all out for it and started a bidding war/pissing contest between the two of them.

I think it's a neat concept. I understand the comments about IMDb's price of entry having gone down for this project though. But I don't know that that's a bad thing. One of the common complaints for amateur filmmakers is the cost of entry to the field. My focus (if you read back through all of my postings), is reducing that cost, both monetarily and in approachability.

Back