best line of dialogue you've ever written

Hi Guys

Some days you sit at the word processor and a great line spews out, so here's a chance to share it with the world.

However, I'd like to suggest that we write it without giving any context ... so don't tell me where it happens in the film or who says to whom. Just let the line stand by its glorious self.

Here's mine

"God damn it, if I asked you to throw your ass on a grenade there wouldn't be all this bitching ... All you've got to do is stick your tongue in this marine's mouth ... and look like you mean it!"

clive said:
Some days you sit at the word processor and a great line spews out, so here's a chance to share it with the world.
Great subject! :lol: I have two (Both currently in production the weekend of 2/18 and 2/19):

Death: "Look, I don't have time for this. I've got a two o' clock in Hollywood to martyr some fatass actor who's about to overdose on coke. So if you don't mind, I'd like to get this over with."

And my favorite:

"Ow, that hurt! Maybe I should stop doing that."

Here's something. It's a great part in the story, but you don't want story, just dialog. It's a hard one to decide, so I'll paste in two of them.

"No, my young officer, they are going to run!

FIGHTERS, BOMBERS, RE-ARM.

ALL SHIPS ADVANCE AND ATTACK!! They’re trying to escape!"

and

"FLEET, the enemy has turned tail and is running. They WILL be stopped before they get to Earth. What we have done here is taken a stand. We have shown that we WILL NOT accept defeat. We WILL NOT let anyone tread on our land. We WILL NOT FAIL. Our Mission is ahead of us. Together we will remove the Alien scum from our precious and beautiful homeland. On this day of victory, let us press forward and complete what has been started. Let’s go home and take back our BIRTHRIGHT!!!"

Here is one from our current production:

This one is a v/o:
So this is where I started. That's my mom and my dad. They are procreating, and that's what I am calling it, because they are my parents. And while this is no different than any other conception; it is what happens next that gives you a taste of my luck to come. No pun intended.

nothign fantastic, just fun. kinda thing. yeah. sweet.

"The internet is dangerous that way. It sucks you in, too far, and suddenly you realize you're reading a recipe on how to cook your testicles in a mushroom sauce."

Here's mine. It's the punchline in an exchange that starts with "There's no 'I' in Team"

"Now, we have work to do; I hope there will be no more unpleasantness, because there is an “I” in “Fired”, and that “I” could be “U”."

This pretty well supports my theory: That dialog, taken out of context, is like real life. Without proper context and setting, the dialog falls apart. None of the dialog mentioned above is interesting or understandable. It's like "here's looking at you kid" cannot be applied to any situation. Without a proper setup or context, it's verbage without meaning. It cheapens the author who conceives of the conversation between characters and once removed from that scene, is not understandable.

Sorry Clive, nice try, but even with Coot Dog's demands, the theory falls short.

I agree with cowboy that dialogue is most of the time dependent of context.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

That, on it's own, is not a great "line."

But, you certainly can have great lines that stand on their own.

"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star." from my favorite year is an example.

And, I believe

"I would never join a club that would have me as a member"

Is from a Marx Bros. film.

But that's all i can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more examples...

WriteumCowboy said:
Sorry Clive, nice try, but even with Coot Dog's demands, the theory falls short.

I don't think anyone was out to prove any point. Just trying to have a little fun.

You didn't participate in the fun according to the rules he stated, and when called on it, you acted like a baby. Now, because you are still feeling slighted, you're back to derail the thread. Nice going.

Lame, Shipley. If someone had never seen Jaws, they would have never udnerstood Dryfus' line and wondered wha the hell you were talking about. Groucho's line was from vaudeville and pre-dated the movie. If you have better examples, I challenge you to think of them.

Right now all of the examples above support my theory, not Clive's. This thread is about dialog that is applicable everywhere and not just in that one context.

Again, boys and girls: Dialog is written specific to a scene; not so universal that it can be inserted at any time at any circumstance and make sense. This is an excercise in futility.

Guess there are too many brick walls to preach to here. My comments are wasted as well.

Robert, I ignored the "rules" because they didn't make sense, and if that's acting like a "baby", maybe the rule didn't make sense and can be ignored by those who know it was dumb.

As for having fun............ get a grip. I'd hope this forum could have comments that helped instead of encouraging one to go to the 'frig for another cold one.

I'm not slighted, but if it upsets you, I'll gladly back out and not re-appear. Now, does that make you happy?

Last edited:
Maybe not the best I've written but one of my favs and I'll add this to the mix. Cool topic by the way! :yes:

Character A-"I thought your membership had run out?"
Character B-"You'll have to forgive me Jasmine, I didn't recognize you with your clothes."

As they say the best dialogue is to come!:lol:

Hey cowboy, lose the attitude, learn to read and know that Roy Scheider delivered that line and the chances of you looking a fool will greatly diminish.

Just some friendly advice.

Hey guys, please this was meant to be a light hearted thread and an opportunity to share bits of dialogue we that enjoyed writing.

I agree with the Cowboy, in that most dialogue is dependent on the situation. However, that's the point of this thread.
The fun I've had from this thread is in trying to imagine the scene that it came from.

So with my line "God damn it, if I asked you to throw your ass on a grenade their wouldn't be all this bitching ... all I want is for you to stick your tongue in this marine's mouth ... and look like you mean it!"

Well, it's fairly obvious from that line that it's some kind of marine officer asking a marine to kiss another marine. The fun of this thread is in trying to work out what the reason there would be for that. Now, as it happens, all the marines are female and they're using it as a diversion to draw the attention of the male guards during an escape attempt - but doesn't knowing that spoil the game?

Maybe I'm just sad, but I really enjoyed trying to put some context to :-

"All your base are belong to us!"

I mean, is it a Russian captain who is gloating over some Yank whose camp has just been captured; or is it a Sci-Fi B movie parody where the aliens all have faulty translators; or is it from a comedy where a Bulgarian has been given a faulty phrase book and is in fact trying to ask the way to the railway station.

The same with Filmy's "I guess it's time to get my ROX off" ... is it a hit man who is going to kill a character called ROX ... or something else.

No heavy point to make ... just saying that this thread makes me smile ... :)

Shipley,

You're right, but only about Roy Scheider's line, not Richard Dryfus. As far as friendly advice...it sure didn't come across as such. But, your line does stand alone, as such.

As far as the "rules", I just remember Wm. Goldman's (and again, I could be mistaken about the author), "There are no rules in Hollywood" line. Guess that one does stand alone.

Clive, I apologize for messing up your thread. I agree with your assessment, but some folks just rile me, pardnuh.

HailtotheKing said:
"You'll have to forgive me Jasmine, I didn't recognize you with your clothes."

Now that stands on it's own and is pretty damn funny!! :lol:

Cowboy, I'm not trying to attack you I'm just pointing out the rules put forth in this thread. If you can't participate by following them then just read.

One liners are great. They happen all the time. Taken out of context makes you look at the dialog in a different state. Can this dialog stand on its own, without knowing the surroundings, who says it, etc...

I think if you can have dialog like that, a real good line or speach or something that moves people, then anyone can say it and it would be great.

I really like HTTK's line above.. made me laugh... Same with "get my Rox off".

I like the idea of this thread.

What can come out of it? Well we could write better dialog that doesn't have to be set up to be heard.
After reading some of the lines, It's changed the way I look at dialog, and for that I thank Clive and all that have participated so far.

So what's your dialog from your script? No set up, just the dialog itself.

***I agree with cowboy that dialogue is most of the time dependent of context.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

That, on it's own, is not a great "line."***

Cowboy, I was agreeing with you and used this line as an example of one of the most famous lines of dialogue that DOESN'T stand on it's own.

Anyhow, here's one from the current script I'm working on.

"Thou shall not worship false idols, that includes danishes."

Back