• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to blur video

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
I'm looking for software that will blur a specific area of video to make it unidentifiable.

For example, when the series Cops blurs out the logo on someone's t-shirt that says something too vulgar for commercial television.

What software is available to do this?

Also, I use Premiere 6.5. Is this feature in the software somewhere and I don't know it? I've searched and can't find it, maybe I've looking for the wrong wording in the help files?

I hear Adobe After Effects is good for that.

If you can only use premiere, but have a photo-shop type application, you COULD go the long route and make a blurred layer, using the motion settings to move it around in your clips...

Try taking a frame from the video, put it in Photoshop, create a layer on top of the area you want to blur, sample the color from what you're about to blur, make a smudgy drop with the paintbrush, apply a Gaussian Blur, delete the original picture, and you should have a relatively crappy-but-useable blur to put as an image on top of the video in your timeline. Then just match the motion with the image... Try expirmentig that way, but I know After Effects is the way to go otherwise.

Last edited:
Yes, what you would use is After Effects. Using the original image in AE, you would have to create a mask, cut out the portion of the image you want to blur, feather the edges, and then apply the effect. If the shot is moving, you will need to track the mask to the movement and adjust the mask points accordingly. When you're finished, export in whatever format you want, and then place it in your premiere timeline.

Back