hot shoe microphones

Hi Guys, so I need to put a better microphone on a Panasonic NV-GS75EB for a community project I'm doing and I know that the VW-VMS2E is the recommended accessory.

I'm going to be doing a lot of out door docu-style filming of sports and need something I can put a hamster on to cut the howl around.

However, I was wondering if I had any other choices.

I've done endless google searches without finding anyone who has built up a comprehensive list and can't even find out basic information on the VW-VMS2E.

The other thing I'm not clear about is whether the hot shoe mic also has to be jacked in by the audio jack, which would seem to mean that I then can't monitor the audio.

Any thoughts, or any bookmarks of sites where some Panasonic geek has listed everything you need to know about external mics for these models?

Guys, when I didn't get an answer I carried on my research and came up with this unit, which looks superb.

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s.html

It basically means that you can put any mic set up into your mini-jack audio input, up to and including having a sound guy with boom mic and mixer who can then give you an XLR out that goes into your mini-jack input. The thing will even handle radio mics.

The only problem I'm still trying to solve is the monitoring problem. However, with this set up I can use a fully professional sound set up, the sound guy can monitor and give me a radio feed of the sound. Sweet.

I'll let you know if I find an answer to the self monitoring issue, without having ot take a feed from the mixer.

Found the answer.

BeachTek also have a powered monitoring system for camcorders, which comes out of the av socket, provies a digital display so you don't top out and also gives headphone monitoring.

This is it.

http://www.beachtek.com/svu2.html

With it and the DXA-2 you can put professional sound into almost any camorder, monitor the levels visually and also have high quality monitoring into your cans. I've very, very impressed with this gear. It solves overcomes a lot of your average mini-dv production shortfalls.

Anyway, I know I'm talking to myself in this thread, but actually the stuff I've found out has been worth the effort.

Thank God for that, talking to yourself is one the the early signs of going :crazy:

These beach tek guys also do a unit that provides phantom power and they're very helpful with technical information.

I also found this on ebay

cool audio thing on ebay

This is the model design for the GL1 and GL2, but it's got no reserve on it, could be a major bargain for someone.

That's really cool...have you come across anything like that in your travels that works as a microphone preamp? My ATR55 is really quiet, but I like the frequency response it gets (and for $25, I can't go wrong....that's like £3000 or something, right? ;) )

Back